distribution or should it be stored in a neutral format (e.g
Data::Dumper)? (Dagolden)

* I'd be happy to just install the MYMETA.yml file as is. Perhaps it could
be extended slightly to create a "packlist 2.0" type file, it's been a
long time since packlists have been reviewed. -- Adam K

Search Discussions

  • Hans Dieter Pearcey at Oct 9, 2009 at 12:19 pm

    Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:56:24 -0400 2009:
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Strongly agree.
    Comments:

    * Should the installed meta be identical to the Meta file in the
    distribution or should it be stored in a neutral format (e.g
    Data::Dumper)? (Dagolden)
    Identical.
    * I'd be happy to just install the MYMETA.yml file as is. Perhaps it could
    be extended slightly to create a "packlist 2.0" type file, it's been a
    long time since packlists have been reviewed. -- Adam K
    I'm leery of bikeshedding this.

    hdp.
  • Graham Barr at Oct 9, 2009 at 2:40 pm

    Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:56:24 -0400
    2009:
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the
    Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools
    should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Strongly agree.
    +1

    Data::Dumper)? (Dagolden)
    Identical.
    not sure. it could be useful if the provides is populated with any
    modules that are installed if it was not there in the original META

    Graham.
  • Steffen Mueller at Oct 9, 2009 at 3:08 pm

    Hans Dieter Pearcey wrote:
    Excerpts from David Golden's message of Fri Oct 09 07:56:24 -0400 2009:
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Strongly agree.
    +1 to the concept, no vote on the implementation. Note that lacking
    information/backwards compatibility may limit usefulness for a long time.

    Data::Dumper)? (Dagolden)
    Identical.
    I'd vote for identical format PLUS potentially extra information about
    the installed files (aka packlist). Naturally, this extra info would
    either need to be part of the meta spec or be confined to a single
    top-level reserved keyword to be specced later (potentially separately).

    Steffen
  • Ricardo Signes at Oct 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm
    * David Golden [2009-10-09T07:56:24]
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Agreed. Not sure about specifics, but in general.

    --
    rjbs
  • Tim Bunce at Oct 9, 2009 at 3:48 pm

    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Agreed. Not sure about specifics, but in general.
    Ditto.

    But please make sure non-arch-specific modules don't write anything into
    the arch-specific dir. (.packlist's going into arch is a pain.)

    Tim.
  • Graham Barr at Oct 9, 2009 at 5:47 pm

    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the
    Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools
    should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Agreed. Not sure about specifics, but in general.
    Ditto.

    But please make sure non-arch-specific modules don't write anything
    into
    the arch-specific dir. (.packlist's going into arch is a pain.)
    +1

    Graham.
  • David E. Wheeler at Oct 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm

    Agreed. Not sure about specifics, but in general.
    Ditto.
    Triple-o.

  • Damyan Ivanov at Oct 14, 2009 at 6:14 am
    -=| Tim Bunce, Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 04:48:24PM +0100 |=-
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    Agreed. Not sure about specifics, but in general.
    Ditto.

    But please make sure non-arch-specific modules don't write anything into
    the arch-specific dir. (.packlist's going into arch is a pain.)
    Also, please provide a way to disable the installation, similar to
    install_packlist=0

    --
    dam
  • David Golden at Oct 9, 2009 at 9:16 pm

    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    +1 (since I wrote it)

    I'd prefer to write the MYMETA somewhere and not worry about extending
    it to be Packlist 2.0.
    If packlists need fixing, then someone should just fix EU::Packlist and friends.

    -- David
  • Slaven Rezic at Nov 1, 2009 at 7:50 pm

    David Golden wrote:
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)
    +1 (since I wrote it)

    I'd prefer to write the MYMETA somewhere
    +1, because MYMETA has more accurate information than META
  • Chris Weyl at Oct 11, 2009 at 7:29 pm
    Again, just my $0.02USD :)
    33. Install Meta files and make them queryable

    Proposal: Using something like .packlist or File::ShareDir, the Meta file
    should be installed along with the distribution and Meta tools should allow
    easy querying of meta information for installed modules. (Dagolden)

    Comments:

    * Lots of meta information is unavailable in a structured way after a
    distribution is installed. By installing the Meta file (e.g. in
    auto/meta/Foo-Bar/META.yml) we retain it after installation and can make
    it available for other tools. (Dagolden)
    I can see this being _very_ useful, and recommend its adoption.
    Data::Dumper)? (Dagolden)
    I'd say identical, unless there's compelling reason to change it.
    Maybe add a record of when/where the build was tested, and the levels
    of any build/test/requires present during the test? From a QA
    perspective, it would be nice to have a record of this somewhere.
    From a distro build perspective, it'd be nice to know what
    combinations of required packages a package was tested with -- and
    conversely, if we're in an "untested" state due to a dependency being
    upgraded.

    -Chris
    --
    Chris Weyl
    Ex astris, scientia

    Data::Dumper)?  (Dagolden)

    * I'd be happy to just install the MYMETA.yml file as is. Perhaps it could
    be extended slightly to create a "packlist 2.0" type file, it's been a
    long time since packlists have been reviewed. -- Adam K
    Having reflected further on this, it doesn't really change the spec,
    so I suggest dropping it from the 2.0 process and reconsidering after
    2.0 support is "done" in the toolchain.

    -- David
  • Adam Kennedy at Nov 2, 2009 at 11:55 pm
    I concur, this is better addressed in a "packfile 2.0" process at a later date.

    Adam K

    Data::Dumper)?  (Dagolden)

    * I'd be happy to just install the MYMETA.yml file as is. Perhaps it could
    be extended slightly to create a "packlist 2.0" type file, it's been a
    long time since packlists have been reviewed. -- Adam K
    Having reflected further on this, it doesn't really change the spec,
    so I suggest dropping it from the 2.0 process and reconsidering after
    2.0 support is "done" in the toolchain.

    -- David

groupcpan-workers @
categoriesperl