15. Add development_requires

Proposal:

The development_requires field should specify all prerequisites only needed
during development. For example this could include templating or other
preprocessing modules needed to generate the final source. (Slaven Rezic)

Comments:

* This would be just convenience for developers, not for the end users. But
it happens to be more and more popular to either take over other people's
modules, or to fork distributions directly from repositories for
patching, so it would be nice to have a concise notation to specify also
the developer's prereqs.

* So one can just write

cpan `perl -MYAML::Syck -e '$meta = LoadFile shift;
for (qw(configure_requires requires development_requires ...))
{ print join "", map { "$_\n" } keys %{ $meta->{$_} || {} } } ' META.yml`

and has everything he needs.

Search Discussions

  • Ricardo Signes at Oct 9, 2009 at 1:06 pm
    * David Golden [2009-10-09T07:49:15]
    15. Add development_requires

    Proposal:

    The development_requires field should specify all prerequisites only needed
    during development. For example this could include templating or other
    preprocessing modules needed to generate the final source. (Slaven Rezic)
    No strong feelings. One one hand, I could list Dist::Zilla in here. On the
    other, it would not be sufficient for machines to know this, since they'd also
    need to know that dev. must be done on the repo contents, not the tarball
    contents. This would neither help nor hurt me, so no vote.

    --
    rjbs
  • Graham Barr at Oct 9, 2009 at 1:58 pm

    The development_requires field should specify all prerequisites only
    needed
    during development. For example this could include templating or other
    preprocessing modules needed to generate the final source. (Slaven
    Rezic)
    No strong opinion.

    personally I do not store the meta in my repository, so it would only
    be of use
    to those who want to use a release distribution as a starting point for
    development.

    Graham.
  • Steffen Mueller at Oct 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm

    David Golden wrote:
    15. Add development_requires
    The development_requires field should specify all prerequisites only needed
    during development. For example this could include templating or other
    preprocessing modules needed to generate the final source. (Slaven Rezic)
    Given proposal 8 (reorganizing the grouping of prereqs) => +1
    Without proposal 8, I'm worried about adding too many more categories.

    Steffen
  • David Golden at Oct 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm

    The development_requires field should specify all prerequisites only
    needed
    during development. For example this could include templating or other
    preprocessing modules needed to generate the final source. (Slaven Rezic)
    Given proposal 8 (reorganizing the grouping of prereqs) => +1
    Without proposal 8, I'm worried about adding too many more categories.
    I agree with Steffen. With 8, I'm +1
  • Barbie at Oct 31, 2009 at 5:17 pm

    On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Steffen Mueller
    The development_requires field should specify all prerequisites only
    needed
    during development. For example this could include templating or other
    preprocessing modules needed to generate the final source. (Slaven Rezic)
    Given proposal 8 (reorganizing the grouping of prereqs) => +1
    Without proposal 8, I'm worried about adding too many more categories.
    I agree with Steffen. With 8, I'm +1
    Also agree.

    Cheers,
    Barbie.