Hi Moritz, hi Andreas,

(Andreas J. Koenig) wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:31:38 +0200, Moritz Lenz <moritz@faui2k3.org> said:
2) The uploaded modules have a flag in their META.yml marking them as
Perl 6. The indexer ignores such modules, so that they don't appear in
modules/02packages.details.txt.gz or modules/03modlist.data.gz (in
order not to disrupt the work flow of anything that deals with Perl 5
modules
Years ago I tried to suggest a language tag for META.yml but it was
not appreciated then, so let's see what we have instead now.
There's a plan to get a META spec 2.0. CC'ing perl.cpan.workers.
When a module has a "provides" key in the META.yml which references an
empty hash then the indexing is disabled. The user gets a mail that
contains text like this: [...]
This might be appropriate for immediate use. I see nothing else that
is ready to use without a code change.
This is at least a vehicle for making this work.
There are heuristics, yes. For example a 'use v6;' is a pretty sure
indication that something is Perl 6 code. I know the Padre developers
have some heuristics already implemented; if there is general consensus
that we need such a thing I'll look there for prior art.
Maybe you can persuade the perl6 authors to do some tiny bit of
homework in their distros so that we do not have to start with
heuristics again? I'd recommend working with heuristics only if some
better solutions have been tried and have failed.
Well, it was me who suggested heuristics, so let me clarify:
i) The only way to indicate that a distribution should not be indexed as
a perl 5 distribution would be declarative. Probably through META.yml
either via the provides hook (which seems like a workaround) or via an
explicit flag.
ii) As a safety net to prevent potential damage to the way perl 5 CPAN
works, the indexer could refuse to index distributions that
=> look like they contain perl 6
=> and do not specify whether they are perl 5 or 6.

This way, the heuristics would only EVER kick in if a certain, simple
flag was missing from META. This is the reason that the "provides"
solution would be inadequate. A PAUSE rejection mail could prominently
state that the rejection can be circumvented by explicitly adding some
tentative "language: perl5" "language: perl6" or "languages:..." or
whatever tag to META.yml. This way, false positives have very low impact.

I agree that heuristics directly affecting the index is bad. Heuristics
as a guard against a huge mess is good.

This being said, I'm not going to write the code but leave that to those
who need it. (Sorry, Moritz)

Cheers,
Steffen

Search Discussions

  • David Golden at Aug 26, 2009 at 10:48 am

    Years ago I tried to suggest a language tag for META.yml but it was
    not appreciated then, so let's see what we have instead now.
    There's a plan to get a META spec 2.0. CC'ing perl.cpan.workers.
    Please detail proposals here:

    http://perl-qa.hexten.net/wiki/index.php/CPAN_Meta_Spec_Proposals

    Thanks,

    David

groupcpan-workers @
categoriesperl
postedAug 25, '09 at 8:52a
activeAug 26, '09 at 10:48a
websitecpan.org

2 users in discussion

Steffen Mueller: 1 post David Golden: 1 post