Hi,

As many of us are no doubt aware, App::cpanminus::reporter is critically
broken - as reported by Slaven Rezic over 15 months ago in this bug report:

Whenever I get a false FAIL report because of this bug, I've started sending
emails to the tester from whom the false FAIL emanated.

It occurs to me that, as an additional courtesy, I should also be telling
the tester the name of the module with which to replace
App::cpanminus::reporter.
Is CPAN::Reporter the recommended replacement ?

Cheers,
Rob

Search Discussions

  • Karen Etheridge at Mar 6, 2016 at 5:43 pm
    I have been running the previous release of App::cpanminus::reporter (0.12)
    for quite some time because of this issue:

    I have not run into the situation (as far as I know) where UNKNOWN reports
    are reported as FAIL, either as a tester or an author, but it's quite
    possible that I've overlooked these occurrences.

    As many of us are no doubt aware, App::cpanminus::reporter is critically
    broken - as reported by Slaven Rezic over 15 months ago in this bug report:

    Whenever I get a false FAIL report because of this bug, I've started
    sending emails to the tester from whom the false FAIL emanated.

    It occurs to me that, as an additional courtesy, I should also be telling
    the tester the name of the module with which to replace
    App::cpanminus::reporter.
    Is CPAN::Reporter the recommended replacement ?

    Cheers,
    Rob
  • Sisyphus1 at Mar 7, 2016 at 4:56 am
    I hadn’t noticed that version 0.12 wasn’t throwing such erroneous reports – but that *does* seem to be the case.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

    CPAN-Test-Dummy-Perl5-Make-CompilationFails-0.02 is designed specifically to let me know when a tester has a configuration that is broken in this way – but, of course, I’ve no guarantee that all testers are testing it.

    About a year ago I used to get heaps of such false FAIL reports, mainly from Bingos, such as:
    http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/401558d6-79da-11e4-87e4-de3106a2f088
    It’s not clear to me just where to lay the blame for those particular reports. In the end the only way I could avoid those FAILs was to detect the absence of quadmath.h during the Makefile.PL processing and exit immediately.
    I suspect that Bingos’ smokers would no longer throw those false FAIL reports, but that Makefile.PL processing (which was only ever performed for NetBSD systems) is still in place anyway.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    I have not run into the situation (as far as I know) where UNKNOWN reports are reported as FAIL, either as a tester or an author, but it's quite possible that I've overlooked these occurrences.

       As many of us are no doubt aware, App::cpanminus::reporter is critically broken - as reported by Slaven Rezic over 15 months ago in this bug report:

       Whenever I get a false FAIL report because of this bug, I've started sending emails to the tester from whom the false FAIL emanated.

       It occurs to me that, as an additional courtesy, I should also be telling the tester the name of the module with which to replace App::cpanminus::reporter.
       Is CPAN::Reporter the recommended replacement ?

       Cheers,
       Rob

groupcpan-testers-discuss @
categoriesperl
postedMar 6, '16 at 12:08p
activeMar 7, '16 at 4:56a
websitecpan.org

2 users in discussion

Sisyphus1: 2 posts Karen Etheridge: 1 post