I just uploaded a new dev release of CPAN::Reporter. Thank you to
Christian and Breno for contributing, and to Breno in particular for
patiently, but persistently prodding me into action.

I'd appreciate if people could try it out. Even if you don't use
CPAN::Reporter, I'd appreciate if you could read through the
documentation and see if what I've said about Metabase makes sense.

-- David

1.19_03 2011-06-28 14:44:19 America/New_York

[NEW FEATURES]
- During configuration, if 'Metabase' is the requested transport and
a Metabase profile file is not found, configuration will offer to
run metabase-profile to create it.

- For Metabase transport (only), the 'id_file' may have a relative
file path, treated as relative to the .cpanreporter directory.

[BUG FIXES]
- updated CPAN::Reporter to go with Metabase by default, instead of
the deprecated SMTP transport system. This provides more up-to-date
information for new testers on how to setup their systems and
addresses RT#64316 (and maybe also RT#61735) [Breno G. de Oliveira]

- Replaced use of Tee.pm with Capture::Tiny as the two don't play
well together on some systems. [Christian Walde]

[DOCUMENTATION]
- Docs have been substantially re-written to reflect the new HTTP-based
transport instead of email-based transport. [Breno G. de Oliveira and
David Golden]

Search Discussions

  • Chad Davis at Jun 29, 2011 at 8:07 am
    This may not be a bug, but it might impact current metabase testers,
    so I want to ask here first.
    My smoker just got around to testing the new CPAN-Reporter-1.19_03.
    It's trying to run this:

    .../metabase-profile --output
    /home/bq_cdavis/.cpanreporter/~/.cpanreporter/metabase_id.json

    despite the existence of ~/.cpanreporter/metabase_id.json

    And the reason for that is because this is false:

    File::Spec->file_name_is_absolute('~/.cpanreporter/metabase_id.json');

    And I'm using that path because that's what the last set of
    documentation that I read on the Testers Wiki seemed / did suggest
    when we made the change to metabase last year. And it has worked until
    now. Of course, it's a simple workaround to update my
    ~/.cpanreporter/config.ini, but what is the impact for existing
    metabase users? Do we:

    1) Fix my config.ini to not include a ~ and warn against that in the docs
    2) Add an additional check for ~ to CPAN::Reporter
    3) File a bug against File::Spec (I'm surprised this doesn't work, anyone else?)

    Cheers,
    Chad

[...]

  • Gabor Szabo at Jun 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

    This may not be a bug, but it might impact current metabase testers,
    so I want to ask here first.
    My smoker just got around to testing the new CPAN-Reporter-1.19_03.
    It's trying to run this:

    .../metabase-profile --output
    /home/bq_cdavis/.cpanreporter/~/.cpanreporter/metabase_id.json

    despite the existence of ~/.cpanreporter/metabase_id.json

    And the reason for that is because this is false:

    File::Spec->file_name_is_absolute('~/.cpanreporter/metabase_id.json');

    And I'm using that path because that's what the last set of
    documentation that I read on the Testers Wiki seemed / did suggest
    when we made the change to metabase last year. And it has worked until
    now. Of course, it's a simple workaround to update my
    ~/.cpanreporter/config.ini, but what is the impact for existing
    metabase users? Do we:
    I have not tested it yet but ~ does not seem to be very Windows friendly.

    File::HomeDir->my_home maybe?

    regards
    Gabor
  • David Golden at Jun 29, 2011 at 9:36 am