Hi I'm having a bit of trouble getting a SDL::Perl running on a debian Lenny setup.

I have SDL::Perl installed from CPAN.
Alien::SDL installed from cpan with the option to build all dependencies and library's.

When I was testing to get things working, my short test script would throw an error. The script and the error are below.

I have libjpeg.so.8 built in the Alien SDL directory, but my guess is that SDL isn't correctly configured to pick up that library folder. I don't want to mess up the system SDL install incase something goes wrong, and I can't install libjpeg.so.8 from packages on Lenny, as there is no package for it.

How do I have SDL recognize the library's provided by SDL::Alien, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Here is my script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use 5.010;
use strict;
use warnings;
use SDLx::App;
use SDLx::Sprite;

my $app = SDLx::App->new(height=>1024,width=>768);

my $sprite = SDLx::Sprite->new(image=>'pic.jpg');
$sprite->draw($app);

Here is the Error

error loading image pic.jpg: Failed loading libjpeg.so.8: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/SDLx/Surface.pm line 188
SDLx::Surface::load('SDLx::Surface', 'pic.jpg') called at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/SDLx/Sprite.pm line 25
SDLx::Sprite::new('SDLx::Sprite', 'image', 'pic.jpg') called at ./slideshow.pl line 14

#------------------------------------------------------
Adam Fairbrother
Help Desk Technician
afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
School District #73

Search Discussions

  • Adam Fairbrother at Jun 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm
    Hi,

    It's been a week since I asked about this and No one has responded, Did I ask incorrectly or in the wrong mailing list?

    Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Sayth Renshaw at Jun 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

    It seemed to me that you need to give a path to "pic".

    my $sprite = SDLx::Sprite->new(image=>'C:/OMG.jpg'); for example.

    Sayth
  • Kartik Thakore at Jun 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

    Hi, H Adam,
    It's been a week since I asked about this and No one has responded, Did I ask incorrectly or in the wrong mailing list?
    Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.
    Absolutely, it seems that your Alien::SDL install had a bit of a hiccup. Can you paste your
    build text?

    $ cpan
    => fforce install Alien::SDL SDL

    Thanks,

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73
    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Adam Fairbrother at Jun 14, 2011 at 4:47 pm
    My bad, I guess I glossed by the sdl-devel@perl.org list when I was looking through.

    Here is a link to a file that contains the stdout from "fforce install Alien::SDL SDL" inside the cpan shell. If it's not the information you were looking for let me know and I can provide the correct info.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/949632/build.text

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    ----- "Kartik Thakore" wrote:
    Hi, H Adam,
    It's been a week since I asked about this and No one has responded,
    Did I ask incorrectly or in the wrong mailing list?
    Apologies for that I normally don't see this mailing list.
    sdl-devel@perl.org is a better list for these things.

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Kartik Thakore at Jun 14, 2011 at 8:19 pm
    Hmm that is all fine. Can I see your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    Are you still getting the problem btw cause the tests run fine.
    Here is a link to a file that contains the stdout from "fforce install Alien::SDL SDL" inside the cpan shell. If it's not the information you were looking for let me know and I can provide the correct info.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/949632/build.text

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    Hi, H Adam,

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Tobias Leich at Jun 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm
    Its not looking good imo.

    See, its just installing libjpeg.la, not libjpeg.so.8 ...

    Hmm that is all fine. Can I see your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    Are you still getting the problem btw cause the tests run fine.
    Here is a link to a file that contains the stdout from "fforce install Alien::SDL SDL" inside the cpan shell. If it's not the information you were looking for let me know and I can provide the correct info.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/949632/build.text

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    Hi, H Adam,

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Kartik Thakore at Jun 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm
    Oh yeah you are right. Why is that happening?
    See, its just installing libjpeg.la, not libjpeg.so.8 ...

    Hmm that is all fine. Can I see your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    Are you still getting the problem btw cause the tests run fine.
    Here is a link to a file that contains the stdout from "fforce install Alien::SDL SDL" inside the cpan shell. If it's not the information you were looking for let me know and I can provide the correct info.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/949632/build.text

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    Hi, H Adam,

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Adam Fairbrother at Jun 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm
    $LD_LIBRARY_PATH was unset. I set it manually to the SDL Libs folder, and the error no longer happens. My test picture dosn't show up, but I think that's an issue I can hack through myself.

    Thanks you for all the help with this.

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    ----- "Kartik Thakore" wrote:
    Hmm that is all fine. Can I see your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    Are you still getting the problem btw cause the tests run fine.
    Here is a link to a file that contains the stdout from "fforce
    install Alien::SDL SDL" inside the cpan shell. If it's not the
    information you were looking for let me know and I can provide the
    correct info.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/949632/build.text

    #------------------------------------------------------
    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician
    afairbrother@sd73.bc.ca
    School District #73

    Hi, H Adam,

    ----- "Adam Fairbrother" wrote:
[...]

  • Kartik Thakore at Jun 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm
    Adam what distro are you on?

    ----- "Kartik Thakore" wrote:
    Hmm that is all fine. Can I see your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

    echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    Are you still getting the problem btw cause the tests run fine.
    Here is a link to a file that contains the stdout from "fforce
    install Alien::SDL SDL" inside the cpan shell. If it's not the
    information you were looking for let me know and I can provide the
    correct info.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/949632/build.text

    Adam Fairbrother
    Help Desk Technician