Is there an easy way to wipe cpan off my computer? I would like to try a
fresh install to see if that cures all the problems I've had with cpan. So
far I can't install any modules with cpan. The latest errors are:

----------------

$ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
Password:

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.

cpan[1]> install FileUtils::More
CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.20)
Going to read '/Users/me/.cpan/Metadata'
Database was generated on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 22:27:00 GMT
CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9719)
LWP not available
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
LWP not available
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
LWP not available
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
No external ftp command available

Client not fully configured, please proceed with configuring.

You have not configured a urllist and do not allow connections to the
internet to get a list of mirrors. If you wish to get a list of CPAN
mirrors to pick from, use this command

o conf init connect_to_internet_ok urllist

If you do not wish to get a list of mirrors and would prefer to set
your urllist manually, use just this command instead

o conf init urllist

LWP not available
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
LWP not available
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
LWP not available
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
Warning: no success downloading
'/Users/me/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.tmp786'. Giving up on it.
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/CPAN/Index.pm line 225
No external ftp command available

cpan[2]>

And I have configured a url list! And I have no idea how I'm not allowing
connections to the internet!

Search Discussions

  • Jim Gibson at Nov 6, 2009 at 3:54 pm

    Is there an easy way to wipe cpan off my computer? I would like to try a
    fresh install to see if that cures all the problems I've had with cpan. So
    far I can't install any modules with cpan.
    Try deleting or renaming the .cpan subdirectory in your home
    directory (note the leading period in that name). That is where the
    CPAN module keeps its info.
  • Shawn H Corey at Nov 6, 2009 at 4:34 pm

    Jim Gibson wrote:
    Is there an easy way to wipe cpan off my computer? I would like to try a
    fresh install to see if that cures all the problems I've had with
    cpan. So
    far I can't install any modules with cpan.
    Try deleting or renaming the .cpan subdirectory in your home directory
    (note the leading period in that name). That is where the CPAN module
    keeps its info.
    I think the OP is talking about the new modules that don't always play
    nice. To find their locations, use -l on perldoc

    perldoc -l CPAN
    perldoc -l Bundle::CPAN

    --
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

    as it is about coding.

    I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
    thingy.
  • Tom smith at Nov 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm