FAQ
Hello,
So, I was going through a tutorial and I realized that my Eclipse
install is using an older version of Perl that does not recognize the
"say" command. I have attempted updating Perl to 5.10 using the
ActivePerl-5.10.pkg ,however, as far as I can tell, that doesn't seem
to be working. I am currently running the latest version of Mac OSX,
which is currently running 5.8.8. How do I update this to 5.10, so
that I may use the "say" command? I run the installer, but it does not
seem to be helping. Is there something I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

-Steven

Search Discussions

  • Telemachus at Jan 19, 2009 at 1:10 am

    On Sun Jan 18 2009 @ 4:35, Steven Sankaran wrote:
    Hello,
    So, I was going through a tutorial and I realized that my Eclipse
    install is using an older version of Perl that does not recognize the
    "say" command. I have attempted updating Perl to 5.10 using the
    ActivePerl-5.10.pkg ,however, as far as I can tell, that doesn't seem
    to be working. I am currently running the latest version of Mac OSX,
    which is currently running 5.8.8. How do I update this to 5.10, so
    that I may use the "say" command? I run the installer, but it does not
    seem to be helping. Is there something I am missing?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you.

    -Steven
    Your default perl lives at /usr/bin/perl and as I recall, ActiveState's
    package puts the new one in /opt. So the problem is probably that Eclipse
    is not "seeing" the newly installed 5.10. I don't know how to set such a
    preference in Eclipse, but this may help point you in the right direction.
  • Steven Sankaran at Jan 19, 2009 at 2:31 am
    Hm. I have spent the last hour or so attempting to get this to work,
    but I cannot seem to get Perl to update. I have located the 5.10
    directory under /usr/local/ActiveState-5.10 but I cannot get Eclipse
    to recognize it. I even tried Eclipse and EasyEclipse. Does anyone
    have any other IDE suggestions for Mac OSX? Perhaps something a little
    more user friendly. I feel so discouraged, I can't even get it to
    point to the interpreter, and all I can say is print 'hello world'
    haha.

    Thanks guys,
    Steven
    On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Telemachus wrote:
    On Sun Jan 18 2009 @ 4:35, Steven Sankaran wrote:
    Hello,
    So, I was going through a tutorial and I realized that my Eclipse
    install is using an older version of Perl that does not recognize the
    "say" command. I have attempted updating Perl to 5.10 using the
    ActivePerl-5.10.pkg ,however, as far as I can tell, that doesn't seem
    to be working. I am currently running the latest version of Mac OSX,
    which is currently running 5.8.8. How do I update this to 5.10, so
    that I may use the "say" command? I run the installer, but it does not
    seem to be helping. Is there something I am missing?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you.

    -Steven
    Your default perl lives at /usr/bin/perl and as I recall, ActiveState's
    package puts the new one in /opt. So the problem is probably that Eclipse
    is not "seeing" the newly installed 5.10. I don't know how to set such a
    preference in Eclipse, but this may help point you in the right direction.

    --
    To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
    For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
    http://learn.perl.org/

  • Telemachus at Jan 19, 2009 at 12:28 pm

    On Sun Jan 18 2009 @ 6:31, Steven Sankaran wrote:
    Hm. I have spent the last hour or so attempting to get this to work,
    but I cannot seem to get Perl to update. I have located the 5.10
    directory under /usr/local/ActiveState-5.10 but I cannot get Eclipse
    to recognize it. I even tried Eclipse and EasyEclipse. Does anyone
    have any other IDE suggestions for Mac OSX? Perhaps something a little
    more user friendly.
    I use MacVim on OS X (http://code.google.com/p/macvim/), but that's
    essentially just a gui version of vim, not a full IDE. The IDE I hear the
    most about for Mac is TextMate (http://macromates.com/), but I've never
    tried it.

    As for Perl, you *did* install an updated version of it. By default, a
    newer version won't (and probably shouldn't) simply overwrite your system's
    version. The system may depend on various things being the way they are
    with the Perl they ship. So, only Mac should update the Perl in /usr/bin
    (don't hold your breath). However, there's nothing to stop you from
    installing a newer version somewhere else, as you did, and using that
    version. Probably the first thing you need to do now is update your $PATH.

    If you open the .profile file in your user home directory
    (/Users/your-name/.profile), you want to add a line like this to it:

    export PATH=/usr/local/ActiveState-5.10/bin:$PATH

    That simply prepends the new ActiveState directory to your already existing
    path. When a shell looks for a perl binary, it should now find the new one
    first. After you do the edit, source the new path and test it with the
    command "which perl". Here's how to source it. Type this in a shell:

    . .profile

    This may even help the Eclipse problem, though I doubt it. I would check
    its documentation and see what it says about changing your $PATH or
    multiple insallations of one interpreter.

    HTH, T

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedJan 19, '09 at 12:35a
activeJan 19, '09 at 12:28p
posts4
users2
websiteperl.org

2 users in discussion

Telemachus: 2 posts Steven Sankaran: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase