On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:59:46PM -0700, Lawrence Statton wrote:
Is there a way to modify @INC for the perl installation as a whole?
Yes. Recompile Perl setting the appropriate compile-time flags. More
importantly, though: Why? It is just easier to install your modules
in the standardly defined place for site-specific modules.
Why: I find that often remote servers (such as webhosting account
servers) that are not under one's sole control lack modules the
programmer wants, and cannot have them added in the standard path for
@INC. This can cause problems when someone wants to use something
written by someone else, or write something that makes use of a given
module.

That's probably why. It's certainly the reason that comes to mind for
me.

  • Anthony Ettinger at Jun 8, 2006 at 9:31 pm

    Yes. Recompile Perl setting the appropriate compile-time flags. More
    importantly, though: Why? It is just easier to install your modules
    in the standardly defined place for site-specific modules.
    By install do you mean cp myMod.pm to /my/path/ ??

    --
    Anthony Ettinger
    Signature: http://chovy.dyndns.org/hcard.html

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedJun 8, '06 at 9:27p
activeJun 8, '06 at 9:31p
websiteperl.org

2 users in discussion

Anthony Ettinger: 1 post Chad Perrin: 1 post