Hi list,

I have written some small perl programs for the ftp to site, getting the
data n metadata, processing it and generating the status in a text file.
Now i need to have a web interface to this.
so i have few questions:
1. perl - cgi or php?
2. how do i execute the perl programs on a different system than the web
server.
3. and also get the status back on the web server
4. some programs like ftp to site may take around 1 hr to finish, so how to
tackle this situation.

This is to start with....

I wld really appreciate your help in formulating a solution.

  • JupiterHost.Net at Apr 10, 2006 at 4:09 pm

    Sonika Sachdeva wrote:
    Hi list, howdy :)
    I have written some small perl programs for the ftp to site, getting the
    data n metadata, processing it and generating the status in a text file.
    Now i need to have a web interface to this.
    so i have few questions:
    1. perl - cgi or php?
    Perl (PHP is a maintenance nightmare, security issue fiend, and a
    resource bloat and not nearly suited for anything very serious) or
    *anything* besides PHP.
    2. how do i execute the perl programs on a different system than the web
    server.
    LWP:: modules if you're using HTTP, you can do anythign you need ,like
    FTP, SSH, SOAP, etc etc
    3. and also get the status back on the web server LWP
    4. some programs like ftp to site may take around 1 hr to finish, so how to
    tackle this situation.
    Net::FTP or rsync or scp
  • Mr. Shawn H. Corey at Apr 10, 2006 at 4:34 pm

    I have written some small perl programs for the ftp to site, getting the
    data n metadata, processing it and generating the status in a text file.
    Now i need to have a web interface to this.
    so i have few questions:
    1. perl - cgi or php?
    You asked that question of a Perl mailing list? Guess what everyone here
    will say. (Hint: Perl, of course.)
    2. how do i execute the perl programs on a different system than the web
    server.
    Don't. Mount the remote drive on your system. Then run the Perl CGI
    here.
    3. and also get the status back on the web server
    Don't. Mount the remote drive on your system. Then run the Perl CGI
    here.
    4. some programs like ftp to site may take around 1 hr to finish, so how to
    tackle this situation.
    Don't. Mount the remote drive on your system. Then run the Perl CGI
    here.
    This is to start with....

    I wld really appreciate your help in formulating a solution.

    __END__

    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    --- Shawn

    "For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
    Aristotle

    * A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/
  • Nishanth ev at Apr 10, 2006 at 4:41 pm
    Hello Sonika,

    Now i need to have a web interface to this.
    so i have few questions:
    1. perl - cgi or php?
    go for perl-cgi
    2. how do i execute the perl programs on a different
    system than the web
    server.
    If you want to run a subroutine that is located on
    another server, you can use SOAP or CORBA.
    These protocols enable you to run a subroutine that is
    located on a remote machine and then return specific
    values.

    3. and also get the status back on the web server
    make the remote subroutines return the values
    calculated there...

    4. some programs like ftp to site may take around 1
    hr to finish, so how to
    tackle this situation.
    i think you are on lookout for "resume ftp".

    Regards
    Nishanth

    http://mail.yahoo.com
  • Jay Savage at Apr 10, 2006 at 5:49 pm