I want to develop a PHP+Perl interface to manage a DNS and a few Mail
servers. I need to interact with other machines on the same network.

Which is the best way to execute commands invoked from the web
interface, pass them to perl and then let them be executed on local and
remote machines? How do PHP and Perl communicate? Via the "system/exec"
function?

Example: from a web panel I want to modify MX records for my DNS zones,
then update transport/mailertable files on remote machines.

Should I put public keys in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on all machines
and then exec a "ssh root@remotemachine ....."?
Isn't there a more *elegant* solution?
Thanks

Mariano

--
-------------------------
Mariano Cunietti

Search Discussions

  • Joshua Colson at Mar 23, 2005 at 4:06 pm
    Should I put public keys in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on all machines
    and then exec a "ssh root@remotemachine ....."?
    No. That is basically the same a putting the password in a file on disk.
    Isn't there a more *elegant* solution?
    Yes. It is called SOAP.
    Thanks

    Mariano

    --
    -------------------------
    Mariano Cunietti
    System Administrator
    Enter S.r.l.
    Via Stefanardo da Vimercate, 28
    20128 - Milano - Italy
    Tel. +39 02 25514319
    Fax +39 02 25514303
    mcunietti@enter.it
    www.enter.it - www.enterpoint.it
    ---------------------------
    Gruppo Y2K - www.gruppoy2k.it
    --
    Joshua Colson <jcolson@giant.com>
    Sr. Systems Administrator

    Mariano Cunietti wrote:
    Hi,
    I want to develop a PHP+Perl interface to manage a DNS and a few Mail
    servers. I need to interact with other machines on the same network.

    Which is the best way to execute commands invoked from the web
    interface, pass them to perl and then let them be executed on local and
    remote machines? How do PHP and Perl communicate? Via the "system/exec"
    function?

    Example: from a web panel I want to modify MX records for my DNS zones,
    then update transport/mailertable files on remote machines.

    Should I put public keys in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on all machines
    and then exec a "ssh root@remotemachine ....."?
    Isn't there a more *elegant* solution?
    Yes, I'd not mix the languages. Just use Perl for all of it, that will
    instantly make it 100% easier to develop.

    The modules
    Net::SSH or Expect may help. Depending on what you need to ssh in and
    run there may be other solutions.

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedMar 23, '05 at 3:48p