I have a general question concerning module availability for ActiveState
Perl. I asked on this list several month ago where to get the DateTime suite
modules, and somebody pointed me to a certain repository at the University
of Winnipeg. Now I am in need of HTTP::Cookies and instead being pinpointed
to a certain place I would like to know is there a general routine for
finding modules listed on CPAN but not available through ppm? Or is it
that the win32 perl community does not have a centralized network like
cpan and it is pretty much up to the good will of someone to compile a
certain module and and serve it from a local server?

Thanks

Peter

Search Discussions

  • Offer Kaye at Mar 17, 2005 at 11:45 pm

    and it is pretty much up to the good will of someone to compile a
    certain module and and serve it from a local server?
    That's pretty much the situation. Of course, there's always Google :-)
    In any case, for HTTP::Cookies you don't have to go far - it is
    documented on ActiveState's site, so you should be able to find it on
    the default repository:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/CodeDoc/libwww-perl/HTTP/Cookies.html

    Hope this helps,
    --
    Offer Kaye
  • Bob Showalter at Mar 18, 2005 at 12:59 am

    Peter Rabbitson wrote:
    I have a general question concerning module availability for
    ActiveState Perl. I asked on this list several month ago where to get
    the DateTime suite modules, and somebody pointed me to a certain
    repository at the University of Winnipeg. Now I am in need of
    HTTP::Cookies and instead being pinpointed to a certain place I would
    like to know is there a general routine for finding modules listed on
    CPAN but not available through ppm? Or is it
    that the win32 perl community does not have a centralized network like
    cpan and it is pretty much up to the good will of someone to compile a
    certain module and and serve it from a local server?
    There are a couple of 3rd party repositories for PPM packages that you
    should add to your PPM configuration. See the ppm docs for how to add them.
    The uwinnepeg.ca one is Randy Kobes'. The other is Dave Roth's at
    http://www.roth.net/perl/packages/

    Also, if a CPAN module (like HTTP::Cookies) is pure perl, you can use
    CPAN.pm to install it without too much trouble. You need to find nmake
    somwhere, since that's what ActiveState uses. See perldoc perlmodinstall for
    details.
  • Jenda Krynicky at Mar 18, 2005 at 1:52 am
    From: Peter Rabbitson <rabbit@rabbit.us>
    I have a general question concerning module availability for
    ActiveState Perl. I asked on this list several month ago where to get
    the DateTime suite modules, and somebody pointed me to a certain
    repository at the University of Winnipeg. Now I am in need of
    HTTP::Cookies and instead being pinpointed to a certain place I would
    like to know is there a general routine for finding modules listed on
    CPAN but not available through ppm? Or is it that the win32 perl
    community does not have a centralized network like cpan and it is
    pretty much up to the good will of someone to compile a certain module
    and and serve it from a local server?
    ActiveStates do have an automated process downloading and compiling
    CPAN modules, but of course they can't have everything and they don't
    have the manpower to handle all problems for all modules that do not
    build out of the box. So the rest depends on the goodwill of various
    developers and their own repositories. Much smaller than the
    ActiveState one, but filling in the gaps.

    There is a module PPM::Repositories on CPAN and the ActiveState
    repository that contains the addresses of the "known" repositories
    and allows you to add them to the list kept by PPM. Fetch it, install
    it, read the docs, add the repositories :-)

    Jenda
    ===== Jenda@Krynicky.cz === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
    -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery

groupbeginners @