I am trying to get perl scripts working on a win2k server - does anyone have
any good ideas.

My ISP say that they "cannot support the use of web scripts" However they
have told me the path to perl and sendmail.

/usr/bin/perl
/usr/sbin/sendmail

The problem is I can't get anything to work. I've downloaded perl and can
run scripts locally, but online is another story.

Do I need to create a CGI-BIN of my own, or do ISPs generally have a
communal one? If I need to create one, does it need to be within my site, or
on my top level (as the html files are obviously not in the top level of my
webspace.

please someone help

Yours

Lost and confused

Doug Guilding

Search Discussions

  • Wiggins d'Anconia at Apr 2, 2004 at 1:03 am

    Doug Guilding wrote:
    I am trying to get perl scripts working on a win2k server - does anyone have
    any good ideas.

    My ISP say that they "cannot support the use of web scripts" However they
    have told me the path to perl and sendmail.

    /usr/bin/perl
    /usr/sbin/sendmail

    The problem is I can't get anything to work. I've downloaded perl and can
    run scripts locally, but online is another story.

    Do I need to create a CGI-BIN of my own, or do ISPs generally have a
    communal one? If I need to create one, does it need to be within my site, or
    on my top level (as the html files are obviously not in the top level of my
    webspace.
    In general this is handled in a couple of ways, a) with a cgi-bin that
    is pre-configured in the web server. Within this 'bin' a file will be
    executed whenever it is requested. Generally this is handled on a per
    account or even per domain basis, *if* it is enabled at all. Most
    providers wouldn't use a communal cgi-bin these days. or b) All of the
    directories under an account that are accessible have the option of
    having executable files, generally this is considered a bad idea and not
    provided. Simply because Perl and sendmail are installed does not mean
    you will have privilege to run scripts over HTTP, and this may be what
    your ISP is telling you when they say they "cannot support the use of
    web scripts". Otherwise I would imagine they have documented what their
    options are, you should check their online documentation. In the case
    that neither is true, you may want to consider a new ISP.

    http://danconia.org

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedApr 1, '04 at 11:00p