FAQ
Hi

I'm writing a script on windows that's intended to run on windows (well, I
don't have windows at home so...), and I'm looking for something to replace
the "stty -echo" command on linux:

print "Password: ";
system "stty -echo"; # disable echo
chomp (my $pass = <STDIN>);
system "stty echo"; # enable echo

any ideas?

thanx
--
Haim

Search Discussions

  • Haim Ashkenazi at Oct 6, 2003 at 1:04 pm

    Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

    Hi

    I'm writing a script on windows that's intended to run on windows (well, I
    this is an error of-course. I'm writing it on linux :)

    don't have windows at home so...), and I'm looking for something to
    replace the "stty -echo" command on linux:

    print "Password: ";
    system "stty -echo"; # disable echo
    chomp (my $pass = <STDIN>);
    system "stty echo"; # enable echo

    any ideas?

    thanx
    --
    Haim
  • John W. Krahn at Oct 6, 2003 at 5:48 pm

    Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

    Hi Hello,
    I'm writing a script on windows that's intended to run on windows (well, I
    don't have windows at home so...), and I'm looking for something to replace
    the "stty -echo" command on linux:

    print "Password: ";
    system "stty -echo"; # disable echo
    chomp (my $pass = <STDIN>);
    system "stty echo"; # enable echo

    any ideas?
    perldoc -q password

    Found in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/pod/perlfaq8.pod
    How do I ask the user for a password?

    (This question has nothing to do with the web. See a
    different FAQ for that.)

    There's an example of this in the crypt entry in the
    perlfunc manpage). First, you put the terminal into "no
    echo" mode, then just read the password normally. You may
    do this with an old-style ioctl() function, POSIX terminal
    control (see the POSIX manpage, and Chapter 7 of the
    Camel), or a call to the stty program, with varying
    degrees of portability.

    You can also do this for most systems using the
    Term::ReadKey module from CPAN, which is easier to use and
    in theory more portable.

    use Term::ReadKey;

    ReadMode('noecho');
    $password = ReadLine(0);


    John
    --
    use Perl;
    program
    fulfillment
  • Haim Ashkenazi at Oct 6, 2003 at 11:12 pm

    John W. Krahn wrote:
    perldoc -q password

    Found in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/pod/perlfaq8.pod
    How do I ask the user for a password?

    (This question has nothing to do with the web. See a
    different FAQ for that.)

    There's an example of this in the crypt entry in the
    perlfunc manpage). First, you put the terminal into "no
    echo" mode, then just read the password normally. You may
    do this with an old-style ioctl() function, POSIX terminal
    control (see the POSIX manpage, and Chapter 7 of the
    Camel), or a call to the stty program, with varying
    degrees of portability.

    You can also do this for most systems using the
    Term::ReadKey module from CPAN, which is easier to use and
    in theory more portable.

    use Term::ReadKey;

    ReadMode('noecho');
    $password = ReadLine(0);
    thanx, I've seen this solution. the problem is that on activeperl (the perl
    I will use in windows, because of the application they have that generate a
    binary with interperter) they don't have Term::ReadKey as a ppm, and we
    don't have a compiler for windows to try and compile it ourselves. anyway
    someone told me that windows machines have an "echo off/on" command so I
    will try to run it and see if it works.

    thanx
    --
    Haim
  • TN at Oct 7, 2003 at 2:02 pm
    Suggest you install and use cygwin including its perl package. It
    includes Term::Readkey and the other core packages. I just did a cygwin
    installation on win2k yesterday and it went smoothly. Note that emacs
    and midnight commander are the only default editors, but nano and vim
    are selectable as options.

    -tristram

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Haim Ashkenazi
    Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 7:13 PM
    To: beginners@perl.org
    Subject: Re: "stty -echo" replacement for windows


    John W. Krahn wrote:
    perldoc -q password

    Found in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/pod/perlfaq8.pod
    How do I ask the user for a password?

    (This question has nothing to do with the web. See a
    different FAQ for that.)

    There's an example of this in the crypt entry in the
    perlfunc manpage). First, you put the terminal into "no
    echo" mode, then just read the password normally. You may
    do this with an old-style ioctl() function, POSIX terminal
    control (see the POSIX manpage, and Chapter 7 of the
    Camel), or a call to the stty program, with varying
    degrees of portability.

    You can also do this for most systems using the
    Term::ReadKey module from CPAN, which is easier to use and
    in theory more portable.

    use Term::ReadKey;

    ReadMode('noecho');
    $password = ReadLine(0);
    thanx, I've seen this solution. the problem is that on activeperl (the
    perl I will use in windows, because of the application they have that
    generate a binary with interperter) they don't have Term::ReadKey as a
    ppm, and we don't have a compiler for windows to try and compile it
    ourselves. anyway someone told me that windows machines have an "echo
    off/on" command so I will try to run it and see if it works.

    thanx
    --
    Haim


    --
    To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
    For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
  • Haim Ashkenazi at Oct 7, 2003 at 2:09 pm

    Tn wrote:

    Suggest you install and use cygwin including its perl package. It
    includes Term::Readkey and the other core packages. I just did a cygwin
    installation on win2k yesterday and it went smoothly. Note that emacs
    and midnight commander are the only default editors, but nano and vim
    are selectable as options.
    thanx, but as I said on my previous reply, I need it to be on activestate
    perl (so I can use their "perlapp" application).

    thanx
    --
    Haim
    -tristram

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Haim Ashkenazi
    Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 7:13 PM
    To: beginners@perl.org
    Subject: Re: "stty -echo" replacement for windows


    John W. Krahn wrote:
    perldoc -q password

    Found in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/pod/perlfaq8.pod
    How do I ask the user for a password?

    (This question has nothing to do with the web. See a
    different FAQ for that.)

    There's an example of this in the crypt entry in the
    perlfunc manpage). First, you put the terminal into "no
    echo" mode, then just read the password normally. You may
    do this with an old-style ioctl() function, POSIX terminal
    control (see the POSIX manpage, and Chapter 7 of the
    Camel), or a call to the stty program, with varying
    degrees of portability.

    You can also do this for most systems using the
    Term::ReadKey module from CPAN, which is easier to use and
    in theory more portable.

    use Term::ReadKey;

    ReadMode('noecho');
    $password = ReadLine(0);
    thanx, I've seen this solution. the problem is that on activeperl (the
    perl I will use in windows, because of the application they have that
    generate a binary with interperter) they don't have Term::ReadKey as a
    ppm, and we don't have a compiler for windows to try and compile it
    ourselves. anyway someone told me that windows machines have an "echo
    off/on" command so I will try to run it and see if it works.

    thanx
    --
    Haim

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupbeginners @
categoriesperl
postedOct 6, '03 at 10:51a
activeOct 7, '03 at 2:09p
posts6
users3
websiteperl.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase