Hi. When a user hits "submit" many times after completeing a form, I get multiple (duplicate) entries in my spreadsheet. I've read that I can add a hidden field with a unique identifier to "lock the file" so this won't happen. I don't know how to do this - can anyone explain/direct me to a good info source (I am a newbie). Thanks, Gregg

  • Rich Parker at Aug 22, 2003 at 4:24 pm

    Hi. When a user hits "submit" many times after completeing a form, I get multiple (duplicate) entries in my spreadsheet. I've read that I can add a hidden field with a unique identifier to "lock the file" so this won't happen. I don't know how to do this - can anyone explain/direct me to a good info source (I am a newbie). Thanks, Gregg

    I've had this issue also, no matter how often YOU put the "ONLY click
    once" somebody will do it twice, or more. I found a way by using DHTML
    to make it so that the SUBMIT button only works ONCE, I found it on the
    Dynamic Drive web site here:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/
    They have some excellent ways using JS to stop the problems you are
    having.. The only problem that you can run into, is browser levels, if
    the user is on an older one the code doesn't work. So if you have some
    controls on this, like it is a company Intranet, as here, then you can
    use their ideas, try to use their "Cross browser techniques".

    Happy coding.
    --
    Rich Parker
  • Randal L. Schwartz at Aug 23, 2003 at 4:58 pm
    "Gregg" == Gregg O'Donnell writes:
    Gregg> Hi. When a user hits "submit" many times after completeing a
    Gregg> form, I get multiple (duplicate) entries in my
    Gregg> spreadsheet. I've read that I can add a hidden field with a
    Gregg> unique identifier to "lock the file" so this won't happen. I
    Gregg> don't know how to do this - can anyone explain/direct me to a
    Gregg> good info source (I am a newbie). Thanks, Gregg

    My column at

    <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col64.html>

    shows this very technique.

groupbeginners @