Hey guys,
I'm just starting to lean PERl and the first real job I have to
do with it is pull some stats from Netflow data.

The data comes in the form of a tab delimeted text file in the following
format

sourceIP DestIP Protocol DestPort SourcePort
Bytes Packets

Eg

10.0.0.1 10.0.0.5 17 80 4521
2048 16

What I need to be able to do is take an address and a port and add up
the number of bytes eg
IP Port Bytes
10.0.0.1 80 16005
10.0.0.1 443 5575876

Etc, I can see how I could use a hash to do this by using the address
port pair as a key then adding the bytes to that key for every instance
but I'm not sure how to exicute it.

  • Wiggins d'Anconia at Aug 3, 2003 at 11:31 pm

    David J. Taylor wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I'm just starting to lean PERl and the first real job I have to
    do with it is pull some stats from Netflow data.

    The data comes in the form of a tab delimeted text file in the following
    format

    sourceIP DestIP Protocol DestPort SourcePort
    Bytes Packets

    Eg

    10.0.0.1 10.0.0.5 17 80 4521
    2048 16

    What I need to be able to do is take an address and a port and add up
    the number of bytes eg
    IP Port Bytes
    10.0.0.1 80 16005
    10.0.0.1 443 5575876

    Etc, I can see how I could use a hash to do this by using the address
    port pair as a key then adding the bytes to that key for every instance
    but I'm not sure how to exicute it.
    What have you tried? Where did you get stuck? Probably you need to
    start with some sort of 'open' to get to the data,

    perldoc perlopentut
    perldoc -f open

    Then you will need some way to divide each line up,

    perldoc -f split

    Then you will build your hash which it sounds like you know how to do,
    but specifically you are going to use the '.' (concatenate) operator and
    the '=' (assignment operator), and finally the '+' (addition) operator,

    perldoc perlop

    So you end up with in pseudo-code:

    open file,
    while read each line of file,
    split line,
    add bytes to entry in hash
    close file

    do whatever you want with the data....which probably involves displaying it,

    perldoc -f print

    http://danconia.org

groupbeginners @
categoriesperl