This may be a stupid question but hey.............consider the source. :-)

We are having some java servletts written to do some decryption. Is there any trick using perl to call
these servelets? Can it be done? What modules if any would be needed ?

If your asking why........we have no java programming talent but do have some perl capability.

If you read this and think ......"This guy is clueless" I won't be offended. I have spent much of my life clueless.............

Thanks for any information

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin
RRRRR Gary Luther
RR RR SAF
RR RR UTABEGAS 2500 Broadway
RR RR Helena, MT 59602
RRRR gluther@safmt.org
RR RR ULE !!
RR RR Visit our website at
RR RR http://www.safmt.org

Search Discussions

  • Curtis Poe at Jan 22, 2002 at 10:44 pm

    --- Gary Luther wrote:
    This may be a stupid question but hey.............consider the source. :-)

    We are having some java servletts written to do some decryption. Is there any trick using perl
    to call
    these servelets? Can it be done? What modules if any would be needed ?

    If your asking why........we have no java programming talent but do have some perl capability.

    If you read this and think ......"This guy is clueless" I won't be offended. I have spent much
    of my life clueless.............

    Thanks for any information
    Gary,

    You have a few choices, probably none of which are a great choice. You can check out Inline::Java
    (http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/Inline-Java/Java.html), which allows you to call Java from
    Perl, assuming "the source is with you". This is listed as Alpha software, so don't consider this
    to be a recommendation.

    You could also use backticks or something similar to call the Java apps and capture the output,
    but I'd be wary of that, depending on your needs. Of course, I can't help but wonder why your
    company is having application written in a language that your company can't support, but ours is
    not to wonder why.

    Is your company aware that there are a number of excellent modules available on the CPAN to handle
    encryption/decryption? You can download 'em for free.

    One question: there's no chance that a "proprietary" encryption model is being used, is there?
    That would explain why some company is writing the servlets for you, but it also virtually
    guarantees that the encryption will be of poor quality.

    Cheers,
    Curtis "Ovid" Poe

    =====
    "Ovid" on http://www.perlmonks.org/
    Someone asked me how to count to 10 in Perl:
    push@A,$_ for reverse q.e...q.n.;for(@A){$_=unpack(q|c|,$_);@a=split//;
    shift@a;shift@a if $a[$[]eq$[;$_=join q||,@a};print $_,$/for reverse @A

    Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
    http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/