Grokbase Groups Perl ai January 2004
Guys, I just found this archive by checking Google for my email address:

http://www.mail-archive.com/perl-ai@perl.org/msg00273.html
<http://www.mail-archive.com/perl-ai@perl.org/msg00273.html>

One way spammers pick up targets is using Webcrawlers to search webpages for
strings in the "who@where.is" format. This page is listed on Google, which
makes it a publicly-accessible target.

I've already blown it by using my work address on this mailing list. This
post is quick advice to everyone else: don't use a clean address to post to
this mailing list. If you do, your clean address will become public.

P.S. It would be really nice if the person maintaining this archive would
remove email addresses from the display.

Search Discussions

  • Casey West at Jan 5, 2004 at 10:26 pm
    It was Monday, January 05, 2004 when BUDNEY, DANIEL L took the soap box, saying:
    : Guys, I just found this archive by checking Google for my email address:
    :
    : http://www.mail-archive.com/perl-ai@perl.org/msg00273.html
    : <http://www.mail-archive.com/perl-ai@perl.org/msg00273.html>
    :
    : One way spammers pick up targets is using Webcrawlers to search webpages for
    : strings in the "who@where.is" format. This page is listed on Google, which
    : makes it a publicly-accessible target.

    Yes...

    : P.S. It would be really nice if the person maintaining this archive would
    : remove email addresses from the display.

    No no no, you're not identifying /your/ problem correctly. You have a
    problem with http://www.mail-archive.com because their subscribed
    robot doesn't modify mailing list message bodies before they are
    displayed on the internet.

    Similarly, any newsgroups you post to (perl.ai, for example) are sent
    as-is (including the From: line) to the internet on groups.google.com.

    The only way you can be safe, ever, is to never send email to anyone.
    Once you send email from an address you should expect spam.

    Casey West

    --
    "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
    -- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

groupai @
categoriesperl
postedJan 5, '04 at 10:19p
activeJan 5, '04 at 10:26p
websiteperl.org

2 users in discussion

BUDNEY, DANIEL L: 1 post Casey West: 1 post