Grokbase Groups Perl ai July 2002
I would like to announce the release of Algorithm::Evolutionary 0.5
(formerly known as OPEAL). The home page for the project is at
http://opeal.sourceforge.net ; and you can download the package as well
as the documentation from:

Over the last release, this one, besides having changed the structure
(following your advice), includes a more uniform XML
serialization/deserialization mechanism, so that all classes can be read
and written from XML, which was one of the design objectives of this
library. Classes added have been with this purpose: an Individual
factory (called Creator) and an Experiment class, which encapsulates all
stuff needed to do an evolutionary computation experiment. Besides,
about one hundred tests have been added.

It doestn't have much more in the way of examples, other than the tests
themselves; that's why I'm not uploading it yet to CPAN. I would also
like to have your feedback with respect to denomination; after having
considered AI::Genetic, AI:EA (for evolutionary algorithm), I have
finally settled down to Algorithm::Evolutionary , since that's what it
is: a module for evolutionary algorithms; it's not AI (it could be used
for AI), and it's not (only) genetic algorithms.

One of the things I don't like about the current implementation is that
it uses XML::Simple for reading XML files, but it's grown out of it a
bit; I might change all that to XML::SAX, but it will take some time.

Thanks for all the feedback!

  • Ken Williams at Jul 26, 2002 at 5:31 pm

    I would also like to have your feedback with respect to denomination;
    after having
    considered AI::Genetic, AI:EA (for evolutionary algorithm), I have
    finally settled down to Algorithm::Evolutionary , since that's what it
    is: a module for evolutionary algorithms; it's not AI (it could be used
    for AI), and it's not (only) genetic algorithms.
    I think you've made a good choice with the name, Algorithm:: is a good
    namespace for it.

    -Ken

groupai @
categoriesperl