Grokbase Groups Perl ai February 2002
This is an AI question more than anything else, so I'll sling it here,
unless anyone knows of anyplace else more relevent for it:

The Guardian, www.guardian.co.uk, seems to encourage people to pass around
their content, as long as it's credited (See:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Distribution/CDistr_Help/ ). And I enjoy reading
The Guardian, so for a few weeks now, I've been basically using their
"content distribution" facilities to just mirror each day's new stories to
my hard drive, so I can read the paper while I'm offline. (I'm not
actually redistributing the content to others.) It's about 120 stories of
basically plaintext every day, about 500K a day.

So after a while of having these stories download every day, I started
thinking that it wouldn't be hard to make up a system where people selected
the /kinds/ of news they're interested in; and, then based on that, a
program could point them at the most relevent stories in a given day's
news. But with finer grain than just "I like stories in the tech
Technology section, and nothing from the Sports section!" More like an
Amazon recommendation system, but for news stories.

I'm sure systems like this must exist, but I've never seen
one. Ideas? Examples?

--
Sean M. Burke sburke@cpan.org http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/

Search Discussions

  • Pete Sergeant at Feb 27, 2002 at 9:05 am

    So after a while of having these stories download every day, I started
    thinking that it wouldn't be hard to make up a system where people selected
    the /kinds/ of news they're interested in; and, then based on that, a
    program could point them at the most relevent stories in a given day's
    news. But with finer grain than just "I like stories in the tech
    Technology section, and nothing from the Sports section!" More like an
    Amazon recommendation system, but for news stories.
    Well, there's AI::Categori[zs]e. If you wanted to split news into topics,
    that might work. I don't know how well it would work if you tried to split
    the news up into:
    a) Interesting News
    b) Readable News
    c) Bin me now

    But, suck it and see

    +Pete

  • Lee Goddard at Feb 27, 2002 at 9:18 am
    I've got a system that searches the Gorniad's new indexes against terms
    which come from the user and are cross-referenced against a db of
    relations. It's commercial, so I can't give it to you, but it took about a
    day to write it.

    Not very AI, IMO, but then what is...?

    Lee
[...]

groupai @