Grokbase Groups Perl ai January 2002
The recent discussion initiated by Stephan Heuel on "Namespace for
Geometrical Reasoning?" prompts me to de-lurk and post some ideas.

http://mind.sourceforge.net/perl.html is the Perl AI Liaison Page
for sharing ideas and theory with SourceForge AI projects in Perl.

http://mind.sourceforge.net/mindloop.html is an AI Mind flowchart
that suggests the following namespaces for main modules of an AI:

AI::BOOTSTRAP
AI::SENSORIUM
AI::EMOTION
AI::THINK
AI::VOLITION
AI::MOTORIUM

Could somebody please explain for me and others what is the system
of pre-existing AI namespaces in Perl? Since I am already at work
writing an AI in Forth for robots and in JavaScript for tutorials,
and since the AI very definitely contains specific object-oriented
Mind modules as listed above, it intrigues me to discover here the
possibility that module names may already be "firming up" in Perl.

Arthur T. Murray

Search Discussions

  • Stephan Heuel at Jan 8, 2002 at 5:44 pm
    "ATM" == Arthur T Murray writes:
    ATM> [...] Could somebody please explain for me and others what is the
    ATM> system of pre-existing AI namespaces in Perl? [...]

    Generally, namespaces in Perl are handled very liberally. Register as
    a CPAN author, see http://pause.perl.org and you may obtain a
    namespace, not necessarily bound to AI. For more details, see

    http://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_04about#namespace

    It seems to me that your project maybe placed in a namespace such as
    AI::MentifexMind or similar, so AI::BOOTSTRAP would be
    AI::MentifexMind::Bootstrap or similar. I'm not sure if
    e.g. AI::BOOTSTRAP would be a module which can be used in a complete
    different system.

    Good luck!
    -Stephan

    --
    Stephan Heuel fon: +49 228 73 2711
    Institute for Photogrammetry fax: +49 228 73 2712

    Arthur T. Murray wrote:
    http://mind.sourceforge.net/mindloop.html is an AI Mind flowchart
    that suggests the following namespaces for main modules of an AI:
    With all due respect, any such modules should not go under AI, they
    should go in a dedicated top-level space, e.g. Mindloop::.
    Unless they're usable outside the Mindloop framework, that is.

    AI::MOTORIUM
    Not familiar with Perl module naming conventions, eh?
    Pay attention to case. "...::Motorium" would be much preferred.

    Could somebody please explain for me and others what is the system
    of pre-existing AI namespaces in Perl?
    For AI in particular, next to none.

    For general guidelines on module naming in Perl, please read the doc
    for the Perl Authors Upload Server:

    http://www.cpan.org/modules/04pause.html

    especially sections 5, 6 and 7.

    And also, read The Perl Module List:

    http://www.cpan.org/modules/00modlist.long.html

    especially Part 1.

    ...it intrigues me to discover here the
    possibility that module names may already be "firming up" in Perl.
    Not really. Not like Sun controls Java namespaces.
    Basically, if no one has taken it yet, it's up for grabs;
    but within the rules defined in the above documents.

    If you're serious about making these things available via CPAN,
    and you want to play nice, it's critical to discuss your module
    naming with the guys on modules@perl.org (but read the above docs
    first). If you *don't* want to play nice, well, no one can stop
    you from naming your modules however you want. (I don't know if
    Sourceforge has perl module naming policies.)

    One thing about it that may be somewhat comforting:
    If you have a standalone framework (such as this Mindloop thing
    might be), you can safely assume that a sufficiently unique
    top-level name (e.g. "Mindloop") can be yours for the taking,
    and then you can shove all the related modules under it.
    (But you *still* should discuss it on modules@perl.org first.)

    hth,
    John Douglas Porter
  • Arthur T. Murray at Jan 9, 2002 at 5:32 pm
    In accordance with the guidelines of
    the Perl Authors Upload Server (PAUSE) at
    http://www.cpan.org/modules/04pause.html
    I hereby request a unique username and a
    home directory in the authors/id/ tree of CPAN.

    name: Arthur T. Murray
    email: mentifex@scn.org
    homepage: http://mind.sourceforge.net/perl.html
    user-ID: MENTIFEX
    short description:

    Name DSLIP Description Info
    ------------- ----- -------------------------------------------- -----
    AI::Mind:: idoho Perl implementation of main AI Mind module. MENTIFEX
    ::Sensorium idoho Audition; other human/robot input senses. MENTIFEX
    ::Emotion inoho Quasi-physiological influence upon thought. MENTIFEX
    ::Think idoho Syntax and vocabulary of natural languages. MENTIFEX
    ::Volition inoho Contemplative selection of motor options. MENTIFEX
    ::Motorium inoho Robotic activation of motor initiatives. MENTIFEX
  • Lee Goddard at Jan 9, 2002 at 5:41 pm
    Oh that would rather dominate the AI::Mind namespace, wouldn't it?
    How about AI::Mind::[another monika] ?

    lee
[...]

  • Arthur T. Murray at Jan 9, 2002 at 6:01 pm