Grokbase Groups Perl ai August 2001
I think Microsoft has pulled Mindnet. I could not find it from the links
supplied. Perhaps they are getting ready to release something for $$.

"Ken Williams"
<ken@forum.swart To: "Terrence Brannon" <tmbranno@oracle.com>
hmore.edu> cc: perl-ai@perl.org
Subject: RE: Project Earth
08/22/2001 08:13
AM

home@leegoddard.com (Lee Goddard) wrote:
The objective of Project Earth is to build a database of factual
information
relevant to any aspect of life by collating voluntary contributions made
by
project participants.
Does anyone remember the name of the project that tried to
program a database with the equivelant knowledge of a three
year-old child? It's still running, after I think 30 years.
One should have a look at MindNet, from Microsoft. It's a similar
project, but instead of needing hand-entered facts, it gets facts by
reading dictionaries. Since Microsoft already had big natural language
parsers (the grammar checker in Word), it was natural to re-use them for
reading dictionaries.

Ken Williams Last Bastion of Euclidity
ken@forum.swarthmore.edu The Math Forum

groupai @