Grokbase Groups Perl ai August 2001
"Aerig Meginlu" <aerig@meginlu.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

: Project Earth
: -------------------
:
: This is a brief description of and invitation to find out about and join a
: new artificial intelligence project just started on SourceForge.
:
: The objective of Project Earth is to build a database of factual information
: relevant to any aspect of life by collating voluntary contributions made by
: project participants.
:
: As the database grows it will accumulate enough definitions that it can
: become the core of natural life artificial intelligence systems. The design
: and implemetation of these AI systems is a major objective of the project.
:
: The project is currently only just starting and volunteers are required who
: are willing to help define a formal method of receiving factual information,
: relationships between elements of information, and rules which apply to the
: processing and interpretation of that information.
:
: Programmers are needed who can write CGI's which can take information from
: Forms and add them appropriately to the main database. Other programs which
: will be required later are ones which can integrate the various types of
: information and infer accurate information from data which already exists.
:
: Examples
: ---------------
:
: object cup can contain
: object cup is used to contain fluid
: object car can move
: object car can convey people
: object car can convey things
: object car is type vehicle
: action walk changes actors location
: action walk improves actors health
: action push changes objects position
:
: Relationships of this sort, expressed in a restricted form of natural
: language, will be accumulated to define object properties and groups to
: which objects belong. They will also be used to define the results of
: actions.
:
: The current objective of participants in the project will be to define a
: viable formal method of specifying object properties by first defining valid
: relationships such as 'is', 'is_similar_to', 'can_be', 'can_be_used_to' and
: defining what each such relationship means.
: As each relationship is defined and that definition agreed upon, it will be
: added to a form which anyone can use to add to the database of facts. Thus
: programmers capable of writing Perl or other CGI routines are needed to
: start work on that aspect of the project almost immediately.
:
: The forms which volunteers will use to submit information should be of such
: a nature that only valid relationships can be defined and need to be
: supported by script or CGI which ensures that multiple definition of the
: same rule or property is reflected in the database, so that erroneously
: entered information will be depreciated as a result of its infrequency.
:
: As initiator of the project, I will try to identify main tasks that require
: to be completed and document those that have been. However, I will also be
: trying to organise this in such a way that participants will be free to
: undertake the various tasks more or less as they like, independently or in
: collaboration with others who want to work on the same part of the project.
:
: Server space and processing power are currently required to hold the
: database information and service it. Because multiple sites is a fairly good
: idea, programs will also be needed which pass update information around the
: various sites, append that to a consistent mirror of the main database and
: ensure that that is also effectively distributed.
:
:
: If you are interested in finding out more about the project and are
: familiar with SourceForge visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/earth/ and
: feel free to explore. The project is currently in its early stages, but
: there are a couple of useful documents registered in the project
: documentation folder under the category Non-Technical.
:
: If you have never been to SourceForge before visit
: http://sourceforge.net/docman/index.php?group_id=33634 to go straight to
: Project Earth's document reposirory and read more about it.
:
: If you would like to contribute to the project as a Data Contributor
: mailto:aerig@users.sourceforge.net?subject=earth_jcont
:
: If you would like to contribute to the project as a Software Engineer
: mailto:aerig@users.sourceforge.net?subject=earth_jsoen
:
: If you would like to contribute to the project as a DBMS Developer
: mailto:aerig@users.sourceforge.net?subject=earth_jdbms
:
: If you would like to contribute to the project as a Web Developer
: mailto:aerig@users.sourceforge.net?subject=earth_jwebd
:
: If you would like to contribute to the project as a Project Developer
: mailto:aerig@users.sourceforge.net?subject=earth_jproj
:
: N.B. This is a spare time project for me. The documents at
: http://sourceforge.net/projects/earth/ will probably take a day or two to
: read in any case, but those of you who mail me are unlikely to receive a
: response until next Friday night.
:
: aerig
:
:

--
Carter's Compass: I know I'm on the right track when
by deleting something I'm adding functionality.

Search Discussions

  • Lee Goddard at Aug 22, 2001 at 8:02 am

    The objective of Project Earth is to build a database of factual information
    relevant to any aspect of life by collating voluntary contributions made by
    project participants.
    Does anyone remember the name of the project that tried to
    program a database with the equivelant knowledge of a three
    year-old child? It's still running, after I think 30 years.
    Examples
    object cup can contain
    object cup is used to contain fluid
    object car can move
    object car can convey people
    object car can convey things
    object car is type vehicle
    action walk changes actors location
    action walk improves actors health
    action push changes objects position
    I trust those are not realy examples of entries.
    "can contain" and "is used to contain"?

    "walk changes actors location" and
    "car can convey people"?

    Looks like a better grammar is required.

    Good luck
    lee
  • Steve Vertigan at Aug 22, 2001 at 8:51 am

    Lee Goddard wrote:
    The objective of Project Earth is to build a database of factual information
    relevant to any aspect of life by collating voluntary contributions made by
    project participants.
    Does anyone remember the name of the project that tried to
    program a database with the equivelant knowledge of a three
    year-old child? It's still running, after I think 30 years.
    Did that project utilise a world-wide network of contributors like this
    one aims to do or did it involve a limited team? Of course then you
    have the problem of people entering junk data in the database. I
    suppose one solution would be to have a review system like the PGP web
    of trust where a given fact could be trusted in accordance with how many
    people have confirmed it and how trusted a given person is considered to
    be (probably has a neat parallel with how humans choose to believe
    something).

    But the main problem with this approach in general IMHO is surely the
    best you can hope for is a sophisticated database searching program that
    can tell you $string is/= $otherstring. By itself it wouldn't even have
    much hope of passing the turing test let alone be arguably
    'intelligent'. Or am I missing something?

    Regards,
    Steve

    --
    OpenBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org GENERIC#399 i386
    12:50AM up 1 day, 16:44, 1 user, load averages: 0.61, 0.64, 0.64

    Lee Goddard wrote:
    Looks like a better grammar is required.
    Indeed; I was wondering why it was decided that a new
    language was required at all. There are already plenty
    to choose from, including some very well designed ones,
    like KM and KRSL. See
    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/mfkb/related.html
    for an exhaustinge list.

    --
    John Porter

    Science class should not end in tragedy.
  • Ken Williams at Aug 22, 2001 at 3:12 pm

    Lee Goddard wrote:

    The objective of Project Earth is to build a database of factual information
    relevant to any aspect of life by collating voluntary contributions made by
    project participants.
    Does anyone remember the name of the project that tried to
    program a database with the equivelant knowledge of a three
    year-old child? It's still running, after I think 30 years.
    One should have a look at MindNet, from Microsoft. It's a similar
    project, but instead of needing hand-entered facts, it gets facts by
    reading dictionaries. Since Microsoft already had big natural language
    parsers (the grammar checker in Word), it was natural to re-use them for
    reading dictionaries.

    ------------------- -------------------
    Ken Williams Last Bastion of Euclidity
    ken@forum.swarthmore.edu The Math Forum
  • Lee Goddard at Aug 23, 2001 at 11:26 am
    One should have a look at MindNet, from Microsoft.
    Which one...?

    Oh, sorry.....
  • William Thompson at Aug 22, 2001 at 12:18 pm
    I think the project you are referring to is Doug Lenat's CYC. They have a web
    page http://www.cyc.com/ There's also an openCYC, a smaller version, that is
    described at http://www.opencyc.org/ You're right, this project has been going
    on for a long time. They are supposedly going to release ver. 1.0 of openCYC
    shortly.
[...]

    Bill Thompson, PhD
    Computer Scientist
    Wadsworth Center