Grokbase Groups Perl ai May 2001
Hi hi.

I'm writing an HTML->WML convertor...

Anyway, the hard bit is done, which brings me on to the hardest part -
obviously WAP devices have quite a small memory, and data tends to be split
into 'cards'. What I want to know, is do any algorithms or similar exist for
splitting a piece of somewhat formatted text into smaller chunks?

_pete

  • Gene Boggs at May 30, 2001 at 7:14 pm
    Text::Wrap ?

    -gb
    Gene Boggs <gene@ology.net>
    Software Engineer at-large
    ___________________________
    Anyway, the hard bit is done, which brings me on to the hardest part -
    obviously WAP devices have quite a small memory, and data tends to be split
    into 'cards'. What I want to know, is do any algorithms or similar exist for
    splitting a piece of somewhat formatted text into smaller chunks?

    _pete
  • Lee Goddard at May 30, 2001 at 7:53 pm
    But you could split at sentance, paragraph, heading....
    Anyway, the hard bit is done, which brings me on to the hardest part -
    obviously WAP devices have quite a small memory, and data tends
    to be split
    into 'cards'. What I want to know, is do any algorithms or
    similar exist for
    splitting a piece of somewhat formatted text into smaller chunks?

    _pete
  • Simon Cozens at May 30, 2001 at 7:25 pm

    What I want to know, is do any algorithms or similar exist for
    splitting a piece of somewhat formatted text into smaller chunks?
    Yes. Us scary linguist types tend to call them "paragraphs".

    --
    I would imagine most of the readers of this group would support abortion
    as long as fifty or sixty years after conception for certain individuals