CAML as being faster than C++

http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/

Search Discussions

  • Lee Goddard at May 24, 2001 at 4:03 pm
    From: Terrence Monroe Brannon
    John Porter wrote:
    It will take some work to make a benchmark for comparison
    against, say, Java; but I will be surprised if Perl doesn't
    turn out significantly slower, as usual.

    The Great Computer Language Shootout shows Perl and faster than Java and
    CAML as being faster than C++

    http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
    Great site.

    Maybe I misread you or the site, but what I see is:

    1. Awk gawk
    4. C gcc egcs-2.91.66
    5. C++ g++ egcs-2.91.66
    6. Common Lisp cmucl
    13. Java
    18. PHP
    19. Perl

    (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/)

    lee
  • Terrence Monroe Brannon at May 24, 2001 at 4:47 pm
    You are right. Only taking memory into consideration, Java is faster,
    but when memory and speed are considered, Perl is better.

    also note, this contest forced all programs to be written the same
    way.In some cases , Perl programs could've been faster if given free
    expression.

    --
    Terrence Brannon
    50

    From: Terrence Monroe Brannon
    John Porter wrote:
    It will take some work to make a benchmark for comparison
    against, say, Java; but I will be surprised if Perl doesn't
    turn out significantly slower, as usual.

    The Great Computer Language Shootout shows Perl and faster than Java and
    CAML as being faster than C++

    http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
    Great site.

    Maybe I misread you or the site, but what I see is:

    1. Awk gawk
    4. C gcc egcs-2.91.66
    5. C++ g++ egcs-2.91.66
    6. Common Lisp cmucl
    13. Java
    18. PHP
    19. Perl

    (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/)

    lee
  • John Porter at May 24, 2001 at 4:59 pm

    Terrence Monroe Brannon wrote:
    Only taking memory into consideration, Java is faster,
    but when memory and speed are considered, Perl is better.
    Memory is cheap; time is expensive.
    In other words, I don't mind throwing another gig of ram
    at the problem, but I mind greatly having to take another
    24 hours of computation time.

    As for the specific assertion that Java is worse, in
    general, than Perl wrt memory, I am dubious.

    --
    John Porter
  • Ronald J Kimball at May 24, 2001 at 5:26 pm

    The Great Computer Language Shootout shows Perl and faster than Java and
    CAML as being faster than C++

    http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
    Great site.

    Maybe I misread you or the site, but what I see is:

    1. Awk gawk
    4. C gcc egcs-2.91.66
    5. C++ g++ egcs-2.91.66
    6. Common Lisp cmucl
    13. Java
    18. PHP
    19. Perl

    (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/)
    Yes, sadly, Perl does not make the top of an alphabetical list. ;)

    "It's..."
  • Terrence Monroe Brannon at May 24, 2001 at 5:32 pm

    Ronald J Kimball wrote:
    Maybe I misread you or the site, but what I see is:

    1. Awk gawk
    4. C gcc egcs-2.91.66
    5. C++ g++ egcs-2.91.66
    6. Common Lisp cmucl
    13. Java
    18. PHP
    19. Perl

    (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/)
    Yes, sadly, Perl does not make the top of an alphabetical list. ;)

    "It's..."
    lol! let's rename Perl to 1reP (one r ee pee) so we can place first.

groupai @
categoriesperl
postedMay 24, '01 at 3:49p
activeMay 24, '01 at 5:32p