Grokbase Groups Perl ai December 2000
Hi all,

I'd like to start a discussion on a couple of things regarding AI &
CPAN... Firstly, I'd like to know if it is possible to reserve the
toplevel Namespace "AI" for modules pertaining to Artificial
Intelligence on CPAN. And secondly, I was wondering if it would be
possible to create a new category for AI in the Module List Chapter?

There are a growing number of AI modules, and I believe an AI listing on
CPAN would promote more development... I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Steve Purkis Technical Architect
steve@ebookers.com www.ebookers.com

Search Discussions

  • Lee at Dec 6, 2000 at 11:55 am
    Seems it's there already.

    Cf. AI::NeuralNet::backProp, etc:

    http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=neural

    Give me more of them! Now!

    Lee

    Steve Purkis wrote:
    Hi all,

    I'd like to start a discussion on a couple of things regarding AI &
    CPAN... Firstly, I'd like to know if it is possible to reserve the
    toplevel Namespace "AI" for modules pertaining to Artificial
    Intelligence on CPAN. And secondly, I was wondering if it would be
    possible to create a new category for AI in the Module List Chapter?

    There are a growing number of AI modules, and I believe an AI listing on
    CPAN would promote more development... I'd like to hear your thoughts!
  • Steve Purkis at Dec 6, 2000 at 12:17 pm
    Exactly... this search reveals a few more:

    http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=AI

    And others (like my embarrassingly outdated Agent module) fit into this
    catagory as well.

    But that answers the first question: AI is already reserved.
    Now what about the second one? ie: what would it take to have AI
    listed in the Module List Chapter?

    -Steve

    --
    Steve Purkis Technical Architect
    steve@ebookers.com www.ebookers.com
  • Ken Williams at Dec 6, 2000 at 3:28 pm

    Steve Purkis wrote:
    I'd like to start a discussion on a couple of things regarding AI &
    CPAN... Firstly, I'd like to know if it is possible to reserve the
    toplevel Namespace "AI" for modules pertaining to Artificial
    Intelligence on CPAN. And secondly, I was wondering if it would be
    possible to create a new category for AI in the Module List Chapter?
    I discovered a couple days ago that the AI:: modules are present on
    www.cpan.org/ , but not on www.perl.org/CPAN-local/ . Strange. Maybe
    just an outdated mirror or something.

    I plan to work on a couple AI:: modules very soon, like a Genetic
    Algorithms framework (AI::GA ?), essentially a packaged version of the
    TPJ article Brad & I wrote a couple years ago, and a document
    categorization system (AI::Bayes or AI::Categorize::NaiveBayes or
    something).

    ------------------- -------------------
    Ken Williams Last Bastion of Euclidity
    ken@forum.swarthmore.edu The Math Forum
  • Andreas J. Koenig at Dec 7, 2000 at 9:55 am

    Exactly... this search reveals a few more:
    http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=AI
    And others (like my embarrassingly outdated Agent module) fit into this
    catagory as well.
    But that answers the first question: AI is already reserved.
    Now what about the second one? ie: what would it take to have AI
    listed in the Module List Chapter?
    Also already there.

    AI::
    ::Fuzzy RdpO Perl extension for Fuzzy Logic SABREN
    ::jNeural RdcO Jet's Neural Architecture JETTERO
    ::NeuralNet RdpO A simple back-prop neural net JBRYAN

    Let me know which you want to have added.

    --
    andreas
  • Steve Purkis at Dec 7, 2000 at 11:40 am

    "Andreas J. Koenig" wrote:
    Exactly... this search reveals a few more:
    http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=AI
    And others (like my embarrassingly outdated Agent module) fit into this
    catagory as well.
    But that answers the first question: AI is already reserved.
    Now what about the second one? ie: what would it take to have AI
    listed in the Module List Chapter?
    Also already there.

    AI::
    ::Fuzzy RdpO Perl extension for Fuzzy Logic SABREN
    ::jNeural RdcO Jet's Neural Architecture JETTERO
    ::NeuralNet RdpO A simple back-prop neural net JBRYAN

    Let me know which you want to have added.
    Well, if you could add AI::Perceptron I'd appreciate it... (I
    *completely* forgot to register it! Sorry...)

    But this isn't *quite* what I meant. I've seen this sub-section in the
    past - I was really hoping Artificial Intelligence could be pulled out
    of "Miscellaneous" and put into a section of it's own containing things
    like:

    AI::
    ::Fuzzy RdpO Perl extension for Fuzzy Logic
    SABREN
    ::jNeural RdcO Jet's Neural Architecture
    JETTERO
    ::NeuralNet RdpO A simple back-prop neural net
    JBRYAN
    ::Perceptron RdpO An implementation of a Perceptron
    SPURKIS

    Statistics::
    ::LTU RdpO Implements Linear Threshold Units
    TOMFA

    Neural ad+O Generic simulation of neural networks
    LUKKA

    Agent cdpO Transportable Agent module
    SPURKIS

    String::
    ::Approx Rdpf Approximate string matching and substitution JHI

    I've probably missed some, but that's the general idea. What do you
    think?

    --
    Steve Purkis Technical Architect
    steve@ebookers.com www.ebookers.com