http://perl-begin.org/ is a site for Perl Beginners, that aims to collect the
Internet's best resources for learning Perl. Here are the major changes to it
since the last update:

1. The book [Modern Perl](http://perl-begin.org//books/#modern-perl) is now
recommended, and [a local copy](http://perl-begin.org//tutorials/modern-perl/)
of it, under the CC-by-nc-sa licence is available on Perl-Begin, thanks to
[chromatic](http://www.modernperlbooks.com/).

2. We added [a Page](http://perl-begin.org//exercises/) with links to
**exercises and challenges**.

3. There's a new topical page about [Modules and
Packages](http://perl-begin.org//topics/modules-and-packages/).

4. [A page about using Perl for writing Chat robots and
scripts](http://perl-begin.org//uses/chat-scripting/) (IRC, Jabber, etc.) has
been added. We also added [a page about developing games with
Perl](http://perl-begin.org//uses/games/).

5. More non-recommended Perl elements have been added to [“Perl Elements to
Avoid” page](http://perl-begin.org//tutorials/bad-elements/).

6. [The web-development with Perl page](http://perl-begin.org//uses/web/) was
enhanced with new frameworks and information.

7. Added [a list of GUI
debuggers](http://perl-begin.org//IDEs-and-tools/#gui-debugger) to the IDEs and
tools page.

8. We're now mirroring the now offline [“Life with CPAN” by Jeremy
Mates](http://perl-begin.org//topics/cpan/#life-with-cpan).

9. A page about the [differences between “Perl”, “perl” and
“PERL”](http://perl-begin.org//learn/Perl-perl-but-not-PERL/) was added. It was
inspired by [a similar page](http://perl.org.il/misc.html#pl_vs_pl) on the
Israeli Perl Mongers site.

10. Many anchors were added to the pages using id= attributes.

11. We're now maintaining the sources of the Perl Beginners' Site in [a
bitbucket.org repository](http://perl-begin.org/source/#vcs) and there are
instructions for contributing in the link.

--------------

If you have any input to give regarding http://perl-begin.org/ , or can help
with its ongoing maintenance, we'd be happy to hear from you. Perl-Begin is
mostly available under the Creative Commons Attribution licence (CC-by) with
parts that are Public Domain, GFDL, and CC-by-nc-sa, and is maintained in a
public bitbucket.org repository.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

  • Jennifer Maldonado at Jul 22, 2011 at 12:52 am
    Internet's best resources for learning Perl. Here are the major changes to
    it
    since the last update:

    1. The book [Modern Perl](http://perl-begin.org//books/#modern-perl) is
    now
    recommended, and [a local copy](
    http://perl-begin.org//tutorials/modern-perl/)
    of it, under the CC-by-nc-sa licence is available on Perl-Begin, thanks to
    [chromatic](http://www.modernperlbooks.com/).
    I read it, this book is very good

    2. We added [a Page](http://perl-begin.org//exercises/) with links to
    **exercises and challenges**.
    now I have homework to do

[...]

    This information is very useful for learn, thanks :)
    11. We're now maintaining the sources of the Perl Beginners' Site in [a
    bitbucket.org repository](http://perl-begin.org/source/#vcs) and there are
    instructions for contributing in the link.

    --------------
    If you have any input to give regarding http://perl-begin.org/ , or can
    help
    with its ongoing maintenance, we'd be happy to hear from you. Perl-Begin is
    mostly available under the Creative Commons Attribution licence (CC-by)
    with
    parts that are Public Domain, GFDL, and CC-by-nc-sa, and is maintained in a
    public bitbucket.org repository.
    if I can help somehow, I am available. :)

    Greetings

    Jennifer.

    Regards,
    Shlomi Fish

  • Shlomi Fish at Jul 22, 2011 at 7:55 am
    Hi Jennifer,

    replying in public. Thanks for not top posting.

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 20:21:38 -0430
    11. We're now maintaining the sources of the Perl Beginners' Site in [a
    bitbucket.org repository](http://perl-begin.org/source/#vcs) and there are
    instructions for contributing in the link.

    --------------
    If you have any input to give regarding http://perl-begin.org/ , or can
    help
    with its ongoing maintenance, we'd be happy to hear from you. Perl-Begin is
    mostly available under the Creative Commons Attribution licence (CC-by)
    with
    parts that are Public Domain, GFDL, and CC-by-nc-sa, and is maintained in a
    public bitbucket.org repository.
    if I can help somehow, I am available. :)
    Yes, you can help. Let me quote what I had said to Natal previously:

    [QUOTE]

    See:

    http://perl-begin.org/contribute/

    The mailing list mentioned there did not receive any activity in many years and
    this mailing list - beginners@perl.org is really much recommended. The web
    forum is also defunct. But the three other items (publicity, contributing to
    the core site and the wiki) are good options.

    I guess I need to add a TODO item to update that page. :-)

    [/QUOTE]

    Thanks for your enthusiasm! If you or anyone else would like to help further,
    please contact me in private:

    http://www.shlomifish.org/me/contact-me/

    A form of Instant Messaging (IM) would be preferable for this.

    Regards,

    Shlomi Fish