After a brute force attack I solved this problem of Access2000 disconnecting
or being disconnected from MySQL periodically after a period of inactivity.
(something that has plagued me for months)

The MySQL log simply said Quit, followed by a failed reconnect, followed
immediately by a successful reconnect yet Access would never recover and
echoed "This Action will Reset the Current Code in Break mode" thereby
locking down and causing an end task to exit.

I began by setting all the wait variables high in MySQL but that didn't
help.

Finally I traced the problem to Access itself (surprise surprise). Under
Tools-Options-Advanced there is a setting "ODBC Refresh Interval (sec)".
Default is 300. I set that to 32766 (highest valid value) and the problem
is now gone. Hope this may help someone else out there.

Steve Discher
Systems Engineer
American Cable Services, Inc.
steve@amcblsvc.com
http://www.americancableservices.com

Search Discussions

  • Steve Discher at Dec 14, 2000 at 7:16 pm
    I mistakenly said that I set "ODBC Refresh Interval (sec)" to 32766, that
    was an error. It should have been 5 secs, sorry. 5 secs works great, 32766
    didn't.

groupodbc @
categoriesmysql
postedDec 14, '00 at 1:48p