Good morning. I am trying to install Free Radius with MySql, but I
either have a login issue or a permissions issue.

I have added Radius and radius@localhost to database, Fedora local users
and just about everywhere I can think possible. I have added
permissions for radius & radius local to databases mysql and database
radius. However, when I try to log in to mysql using the command mysql
-u radius -p radius, I get and error stating, "Error 1045 (28000):
Access Denied for user 'radius'@'localhost' (using:Password: YES). I am
really frustrated since I have been working on this login and permission
issue for some time.

Thanks

Search Discussions

  • Sgreen at Mar 23, 2006 at 3:48 pm

    Good morning. I am trying to install Free Radius with MySql, but I
    either have a login issue or a permissions issue.

    I have added Radius and radius@localhost to database, Fedora local users
    and just about everywhere I can think possible. I have added
    permissions for radius & radius local to databases mysql and database
    radius. However, when I try to log in to mysql using the command mysql
    -u radius -p radius, I get and error stating, "Error 1045 (28000):
    Access Denied for user 'radius'@'localhost' (using:Password: YES). I am
    really frustrated since I have been working on this login and permission
    issue for some time.

    Thanks

    Try this:
    a) Verify that you have actually GRANTED permission for the account you
    are trying to authenticate with

    SELECT user, host from mysql.user where user ='radius';
    Then for each user-host combination listed above do one of these and
    compare the privileges listed to those you expected the accounts to have.

    SHOW GRANTS FOR 'user'@'host';

    b) if the records exist but aren't being respected, issue a FLUSH
    PRIVILEGES command. I have noticed that (in contradiction to the
    documentation) that you sometimes need to manually refresh the privilege
    cache even after using a GRANT or REVOKE command.

    If those don't get you started, come back with whatever new information
    you learn and we can try something else.

    Shawn Green
    Database Administrator
    Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
  • Atkins, Dwane P at Mar 23, 2006 at 4:25 pm
    * a) Verify that you have actually GRANTED permission for the
    account you are trying to authenticate with

    SELECT user, host from mysql.user where user ='radius';

    mysql> SELECT user, host from mysql.user where user ='radius';

    +--------+-----------+
    user | host |
    +--------+-----------+
    radius | % |
    radius | localhost |
    +--------+-----------+

    2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

    SHOW GRANTS FOR 'user'@'host';

    mysql> SHOW GRANTS FOR 'radius'@'localhost';

    Grants for radius@localhost |
    GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'radius'@'localhost' |
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `radius`.* TO 'radius'@'localhost' |

    2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

    As you can see, it looks like I have granted permissions to the user,
    radius@localhost for db radius. I am not sure what to do next.

    Thanks

    Dwane

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Sgreen at Mar 23, 2006 at 4:29 pm
    You could try suggestion B) ;-)

    Shawn

[...]

  • Atkins, Dwane P at Mar 23, 2006 at 4:30 pm
    I did do a FLUSH PRIVILEGES and this still resulted in the same error.

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Sgreen at Mar 23, 2006 at 4:42 pm
    OK, make sure you are using the correct password, too. Did you remember
    to encrypt the password with PASSWORD() or OLD_PASSWORD() when you create
    the account?

    SELECT user, host, password
    FROM mysql.user
    WHERE user='radius';

    make sure your password is hashed, if not we can help you fix that pretty
    easily

    UPDATE mysql.user
    SET `password`=PASSWORD('plain-text-of-password')
    WHERE user='radius';

    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

    Then try again.

[...]

  • Atkins, Dwane P at Mar 23, 2006 at 4:53 pm
    I didn't encrypt and that was going to be my next questions. How do I
    do that?

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Atkins, Dwane P at Mar 23, 2006 at 4:59 pm
    Shawn,

    Thanks. That has done the trick. It turns out that I had passwords
    hashed for radius@%, but not radius@localhost. Resetting the password
    and flushing the privilege has really helped. Guess what, you have done
    in 20 minutes what myself and other could not do in a week.

    Dwane

[...]

groupmysql @
categoriesmysql
postedMar 23, '06 at 3:38p
activeMar 23, '06 at 4:59p
websitemysql.com
irc#mysql

2 users in discussion

Atkins, Dwane P: 5 posts Sgreen: 3 posts