I am trying to run two different MySQL server versions on the same solaris
machine. I already have a 4.0.2 running, and i have successfully installed
4.1.3 beta. I ran mysql_install_db successfully (after setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH), but when i try to run
mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
I get the error:
A mysqld process already exists
[1]+ Exit 1 ./mysqld_safe --user=mysql

This is certainly true, because my 4.0.2 is running, but i dont understand why
this is a problem. I am running the mysqld_safe for version 4.1.3, and when i
built 4.1.3 i used the configure options: (among others)
--prefix=/usr/loca/mysql-4.1.3
--with-tcp-port=3306
--with-unix-socket-path=/tmp/mysql-4.1.3.sock
--datadir=/var/mysql-4.1.3

And these options are all different from the 4.0.2 configuration.
So i assumed that things would run ok.

The only thing i can think of is that the /vaar/mysql-4.1.3/my.cnf is not
being read correctly. Perhaps i have an error in it, but i'd think that
mysqld_safe would let me know. If its not being read, then some options from
my default /etc/my.cnf are not being overridden, and that could be the
problem. Here is the info on the /var/mysql-4.1.3/my.cnf file:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 2042 Aug 12 18:08 my.cnf

and the permissions & ownership are identical to that for /etc/my.cnf

I am at a loss

thanks much.
sean peters
speters@wiredata.com

Search Discussions

  • Logan, David (SST - Adelaide) at Aug 12, 2004 at 10:58 pm
    Hi Sean,

    Have you checked the pid file? Have you given it a unique path for this
    server?

    Regards

    David Logan
    Database Administrator
    HP Managed Services
    139 Frome Street,
    Adelaide 5000
    Australia

    +61 8 8408 4273 - Work
    +61 417 268 665 - Mobile
    +61 8 8408 4259 - Fax

[...]

  • Victor Pendleton at Aug 13, 2004 at 12:39 pm
    Have you set it up so that these instances run on different ports and
    different sockets? If you are not using mysqld multi you will have to
    specify which mysql/bin/safe_mysqld you want to start on the command line.