Grokbase Groups MySQL mysql June 2004
I am brand new to MySQL
Running MYSQL 4.0.16 on FreeBSD.
When I try to add a user, with the following code I
get an error.
INSERT INTO user
VALUES
('localhost','username',password('Secret'),
'Y','Y',...);
I have used inwhere from 6 'Y's (Friends
Recommendation) to 14 'y's MYSQL manual.
I get the following error:
Column count doesn't match value count at row 1.
What did I do wrong.
Thanx in advance.
Leon

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Search Discussions

  • Peter Lovatt at Jun 26, 2004 at 9:40 am
    hi

    the error is because you have more or fewer items of data than fields or
    columns to put it in

    it is better practice to include fields in your query

    INSERT INTO sometable
    (
    field1
    , field2
    , field3
    )
    VALUES
    (
    "data"
    , "more data"
    , "even more"
    );

    Peter

    When I try to add a user, with the following code I
    get an error.
    INSERT INTO user
    VALUES
    ('localhost','username',password('Secret'),
    'Y','Y',...);
    I have used inwhere from 6 'Y's (Friends
    Recommendation) to 14 'y's MYSQL manual.
    I get the following error:
    Column count doesn't match value count at row 1.
    What did I do wrong.
    Thanx in advance.
    Leon

  • Leon Ellis at Jun 26, 2004 at 10:32 am
    Thanx Peter,
    But I have no tables set up yet.
    I just installed MySQL
    I'm try to set remote access (for using Dreamweaver)
    on a local network.
    I thought I had to set permission?
    a friend on the FreeBSD mailing list
    sent three different user accounts to set up:

    All Privileges(able to create DB and tables)

    Select Privilges (able to insert, update, delete
    current data)

    Read Only.
    Right now I can access MySQL with root, but I don't
    want others doing that.

    I bought a book on MySql, and have read what I thought
    was the pertinant parts of the handbook???
    I am an ASP/VBscript/Access kind of guy, and am just
    learning PHP/MySQL
    I think part of my problem is transitioning over.

    Leon

    --- Peter Lovatt wrote:
[...]

    =====

    Later Leon

    Wine Snob...Like Wine??

    Click here www.leonswinepage.com

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
  • Andrew Pattison at Jun 26, 2004 at 1:59 pm
    You are probably better setting up permissions using the GRANT statement
    since this should be less prone to errors. Using the GRANT statement, you
    name the permissions which you want to give the user. This means that you
    are less likely to put a "Y" where you didn't mean to.

    Use a statement like:

    GRANT 'user%host' ALL ON 'database.*' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

    The '%' is used in place of an @ symbol. When connecting to the MySQL
    database, your system will pass its hostname to the MySQL server. It is this
    that you need to fill in as the 'host'. If you are running the server and
    client on the same machine then 'localhost' will do. You need the '.*' part
    so that the user can access the whole database.

    The manual tells you what permissions each of your levels of access
    requires.

    Cheers

    Andrew.