I just installed MySQL version 4 and as usual, trying to set up users
and grant permissions is a nightmare.
I followed the instructions in the MySQL manual and granted permissions
to a user, like below:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO newuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
'12345678' WITH GRANT OPTION;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO newuser@"%" IDENTIFIED BY '12345678' WITH
GRANT OPTION;

I can log in with this user, but I can't do anything (i.e. create a
database). There is also no mysql database (there is though if I log in
as root).

So what am I doing wrong.....?

TIA

Search Discussions

  • Victoria Reznichenko at Oct 27, 2003 at 2:18 pm

    "C. Reeve" wrote:

    I just installed MySQL version 4 and as usual, trying to set up users
    and grant permissions is a nightmare.
    I followed the instructions in the MySQL manual and granted permissions
    to a user, like below:

    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO newuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
    '12345678' WITH GRANT OPTION;
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO newuser@"%" IDENTIFIED BY '12345678' WITH
    GRANT OPTION;

    I can log in with this user, but I can't do anything (i.e. create a
    database). There is also no mysql database (there is though if I log in
    as root).
    Could you connect to the MySQL server? What exactly error messages did you get?

    / |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Victoria Reznichenko
    / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ victoria.reznichenko@ensita.net
    /_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ MySQL AB / Ensita.net
    <___/ www.mysql.com
  • Nitin at Oct 27, 2003 at 2:37 pm
    i dont think there's any privilege called "ALL PRIVILEGES". You need to say
    just "ALL", like:

    GRANT ALL ON *.* TO newuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
    '12345678' WITH GRANT OPTION;
    GRANT ALL ON *.* TO newuser@"%" IDENTIFIED BY '12345678' WITH
    GRANT OPTION;

    Enjoy
    Nitin

    I just installed MySQL version 4 and as usual, trying to set up users
    and grant permissions is a nightmare.
    I followed the instructions in the MySQL manual and granted permissions
    to a user, like below:

    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO newuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
    '12345678' WITH GRANT OPTION;
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO newuser@"%" IDENTIFIED BY '12345678' WITH
    GRANT OPTION;

    I can log in with this user, but I can't do anything (i.e. create a
    database). There is also no mysql database (there is though if I log in
    as root).
    Could you connect to the MySQL server? What exactly error messages did you get?

    / |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Victoria Reznichenko
    / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ victoria.reznichenko@ensita.net
    /_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ MySQL AB / Ensita.net
    <___/ www.mysql.com

  • Patrik Fimml at Oct 28, 2003 at 11:53 am

    i dont think there's any privilege called "ALL PRIVILEGES". You need to say
    just "ALL", like:

    GRANT ALL ON *.* TO newuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY
    '12345678' WITH GRANT OPTION;
    GRANT ALL ON *.* TO newuser@"%" IDENTIFIED BY '12345678' WITH
    GRANT OPTION;
    Maybe you should read the documentation before saying such nonsense?
    There's no "ALL", but of course the "ALL PRIVILEGES".
  • Nitin at Oct 28, 2003 at 12:31 pm
    I accept, that i was wrong, but you need to have a better look too. ALL is
    as good as ALL PRIVILEGES.