Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:23:50 +0100
From: Christian Hammers <ch@debian.org>
To: 16855-forwarded@bugs.debian.org, mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Please clarify copyright of shared library.

Hello

The follwing bug was reported against the Debian libmysqlclient10
package. Can you comment on this?

The mentioned /usr/share/doc/ copyright file includes a copy of
http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Copyright.html

bye,

- -christian-
On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 05:03:06PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
Package: libmysqlclient10
Version: 3.23.51-1woody4
Severity: normal

Hello,
/usr/share/doc/libmysqlclient10/copyright states "This program is
free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the
terms of the GNU General Public License".

If you take a look at the files in
mysql-dfsg-3.23.53/libmysql/* you'll notice that all of them are
licensed under *L*GPL.

Nevertheless this does not make libmysqlclient10 licensed under LGPL
because mysql-dfsg-3.23.53/libmysql/net.c includes mysqld_error.h, a
GPLed file.

Please clarify this issue with upstream, whether this was an accident
and libmysqlclient10 is supposed to be LGPL or if it was intended and
libmysqlclient10 is indeed licensed under GPL.

I hope it is the former, else it'd be impossible to link against
libmysqlclient10 and e.g. OpenSSL at the same time.
thanks, cu andreas
# for the robot: php mysql

Before posting, please check:
http://www.mysql.com/manual.php (the manual)