Grokbase Groups MySQL mysql July 2002
I keep getting Access Denied Errors when I try to login to MySql after
running mysql_install_db script. I ran the mysql_install_db script, made
suer the mysql process is running(checked it using netstat -a), changed the
ownership on the binaries and then tried to gain access using the command:
mysql -u root mysql, which didnt work and, I also tried using the command:
mysqladmin -u root password new_password which didnt work. Both commands
still prompt me for a password, when I try to enter a password, I then get
the Access Denied Error. Can someone point me in the direction please? Any
insight would be GREATLY appreciate as I have been stuck on this for over a
week now!

Thanks,

DK

David Kramer
Reflect.com
Direct: 415.369.4856
Cell: 650.302.7889

Search Discussions

  • Gelu Gogancea at Jul 8, 2002 at 9:25 pm
    Hi,
    Try this :

    mysql -u root -h 127.0.0.1 -p (if you have set password)

    Regards,

    Gelu
    G.NET SOFTWARE COMPANY

    Permanent e-mail address : gg@gonetsoftware.com
    gelugogancea@yahoo.com
[...]

  • Victoria Reznichenko at Jul 9, 2002 at 4:16 pm
    David,
    Tuesday, July 09, 2002, 12:04:52 AM, you wrote:

    DK> I keep getting Access Denied Errors when I try to login to MySql after
    DK> running mysql_install_db script. I ran the mysql_install_db script, made
    DK> suer the mysql process is running(checked it using netstat -a), changed the
    DK> ownership on the binaries and then tried to gain access using the command:
    DK> mysql -u root mysql, which didnt work and, I also tried using the command:
    DK> mysqladmin -u root password new_password which didnt work. Both commands
    DK> still prompt me for a password, when I try to enter a password, I then get
    DK> the Access Denied Error. Can someone point me in the direction please? Any
    DK> insight would be GREATLY appreciate as I have been stuck on this for over a
    DK> week now!

    Did you have installed MySQL server before or you run mysql_install_db
    after installation? mysql_install_db doesn't re-create grant tables if
    they exist. In this case use your old password. If you install MySQL
    at the first time user 'root' doesn't have a password.

    Check also the following link, it may help you:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/c/Access_denied.html

    / |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Victoria Reznichenko
    / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ victoria.reznichenko@ensita.net
    /_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ MySQL AB / Ensita.net
    <___/ www.mysql.com
  • David Kramer at Jul 9, 2002 at 5:01 pm
    Victoria thanks for the response but I was able to solve my issue already.
    Yes I needed to run mysql_install_db then I started the safe_mysql
    --skip-grant, logged on as root without password and updated the root user's
    password on the user table. Thanks for the help!!!