How do I go about querying a mySQL server for version information?

As part of a software installer (written in Perl) I'd like ot be able to
connect to the mySQL server designated by the user and have it report
it's version. Is there a way to do this?

So far I've been relying on the version information relating to the
mySQL client, however it's unreasonable to expect that the mySQL client
software will exist (although the libraries will be there) on the
machine where my software will be installed.

So, is there a way to retrieve the version information directly from the
server using some pseudo SQL query?

This all relates to attempting to determine whether the installed
version of the server will support FULLTEXT indexes (version 3.23.23+)
so if there's an easier way to make that determination, like perhaps
parsing a special error code (other than just 'bad SQL'), I guess that'd
work too, but I'm not sure what that error code might be since I don't
have the extra hardware available to install an earlier version of mySQL
for testing.

Regards,
Colin Hill

Search Discussions

  • Ryan Fox at Dec 13, 2001 at 2:47 pm
    So, is there a way to retrieve the version information directly from the
    server using some pseudo SQL query?
    show variables like 'version';

    Ryan Fox
  • Sinisa Milivojevic at Dec 13, 2001 at 2:47 pm

    Colin Hill writes:
[...]

    Try:

    SELECT VERSION();

    __ ___ ___ ____ __
    / |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Mr. Sinisa Milivojevic <sinisa@mysql.com>
    / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Fulltime Developer
    /_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Larnaca, Cyprus
    <___/ www.mysql.com
  • David Jourard at Dec 13, 2001 at 3:00 pm
    Hi,

    Could someone recommend the best perl web panel to maintain the databases
    and tables for mysql.

    Something similar to phpMyAdmin but in perl.

    Thank-you
    David
  • Etienne Marcotte at Dec 13, 2001 at 4:50 pm
    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/mysqlman/index.htm

    I think they have what you are looking for

    Etienne

    David Jourard wrote:
    Hi,

    Could someone recommend the best perl web panel to maintain the databases
    and tables for mysql.

    Something similar to phpMyAdmin but in perl.

    Thank-you
    David

    Etienne Marcotte
    Specifications Management - Quality Control
    Imperial Tobacco Ltd. - Montreal (Qc) Canada
    514.932.6161 x.4001
  • Ken Guest at Dec 13, 2001 at 2:51 pm

    How do I go about querying a mySQL server for version information?
    mysql> select version();
    +-------------+
    version() |
    +-------------+
    3.23.44-log |
    +-------------+
    1 row in set (0.01 sec)

    mysql>

    --
    The duck quacks.
  • Alec Cawley at Dec 13, 2001 at 2:51 pm

groupmysql @
categoriesmysql
postedDec 13, '01 at 2:37p
activeDec 13, '01 at 4:50p