Grokbase Groups MySQL mysql July 2001
Hello,

First of all, let me say I am a complete novice when it comes to PHP and
MySQL. I am trying to install PHPNuke and I get this error when I try to
access it:

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: 'me@localhost'
(Using password: YES) in /home/www/me/nuke/html/mainfile.php on line 33
Unable to select database

Line 33 on the main php file is were it calls for access to the data base.
My web host says that it is my problem with the program (which of course
they do not provide support for). But it seems to me it's their problem, an
access issue. My guess would be that they need to set up access/permission
for me. Please inform me if my thinking is wrong here.

If so, would this script be what I should recommend that they try??

mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE ON client_db.*
TO db_user@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

Thanks for your time,
Nicole

Search Discussions

  • Admin-list at Jul 31, 2001 at 2:37 am
    Hi Nicole,
    I guess the first issue is to be certain that you have the
    correct password and a MySQL account set up. If you have a
    shell account try something like mysql -u[your user
    name] -p[your password]. Sometimes ISP's will use different
    passwords for MySQL than the standard log in, we often do.

    Aside from that, I just can't help but mention the security
    risks PHP nuke has. We looked at it but finally settled on
    eZ publish. In fact we liked it so much we are now a
    certified eZ publish host.

    Double check your MySQL user and password and try logging in
    through the shell, or PHPadmin (you may want to check that
    out too) or a third party client running locally like
    netadmin if your ISP allows it.

    Best regards,
    -Eric

    Eric C Williams
    admin@e-builders.com
    E-BUILDERS, LLC >>>
    CERTIFIED MIVA BUSINESS PARTNER >>> CERTIFIED eZ publish
    HOST -->>>>
    HTTP://E-PORTALBUILDER.COM HTTP://E-BUILDERS.COM
    HTTP://SECURE-SHOPS.NET >>>>>
    TELNET|FTP|CGI|SSL|MIVA|PHP|SSH|SSI|PERL|PHP4|MySQL|2.5 Gbps
    network|>>>>>>>>>>>

[...]

  • Ididdy at Jul 31, 2001 at 4:19 am
    say i am running a server with mysql and phpmyadmin and i have some
    dbs (including of course the mysql db)...

    so when someone says to "set them up a 'MySQL account'" what exactly
    do they mean? and how do i do it?

    TIA