Hi

I am in the process of upgrading my "MyFaces" from 1.0.6 to the latest version. I have downloaded the nightly build (6/21). I have compiled my code ran the app server. When I try to access one of the JSF pages I got the following error...

05/06/24 15:36:54 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Subsequent characters of component identifier must be a letter, a digit, an underscore ('_'), or a dash ('-')! But component identifier contains " "
05/06/24 15:36:54 at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.isIdValid(UIComponentBase.java:726)
05/06/24 15:36:54 at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.setId(UIComponentBase.java:153)
05/06/24 15:36:54 at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.createComponentInstance(UIComponentTag.java:449)

What is causing this error ?

TIA
-Srikanth Madarapu

Search Discussions

  • Bruno Aranda at Jun 24, 2005 at 8:47 pm
    Srikanth, you have components with spaces in its id attribute, and
    according to section 3.1.1 of the spec this is not allowed. The spec
    says that a component id must follow this rules:

    - They must start with a letter (as defined by the Character.isLetter()
    method) or underscore ('_').
    - Subsequent characters may be letters, digits, dashes ('-'), and
    underscores ('_').

    So SPACES are not allowed ;-)

    Regards,

    Bruno

    the id of a component must follow this rules:
    I am in the process of upgrading my "MyFaces" from 1.0.6 to the latest version. I have downloaded the nightly build (6/21). I have compiled my code ran the app server. When I try to access one of the JSF pages I got the following error...

    05/06/24 15:36:54 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Subsequent characters of component identifier must be a letter, a digit, an underscore ('_'), or a dash ('-')! But component identifier contains " "
    05/06/24 15:36:54 at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.isIdValid(UIComponentBase.java:726)
    05/06/24 15:36:54 at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.setId(UIComponentBase.java:153)
    05/06/24 15:36:54 at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.createComponentInstance(UIComponentTag.java:449)

    What is causing this error ?

    TIA
    -Srikanth Madarapu
  • Srikanth Madarapu at Jun 24, 2005 at 10:23 pm
    Thanks Bruno, I figured that after getting the source. Now I have to get rid of all the spaces, I added them because the <h:messages> tag uses the ids, and to have meaningful names in the error messages, I used names with spaces, because it was allowed !!

    Thanks again.

[...]

  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 25, 2005 at 4:54 am
    If you use the x:message/x:messages tags, you get meaningful names as
    a present along the way ;)

    regards,

    Martin
[...]

  • Srikanth Madarapu at Jun 25, 2005 at 6:04 pm
    That would be very helpful, I will try it.

    Thanks.