Hey guys & girls,

have you read about that Google Summer-of-code initiative
(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html)?

I have several (exactly 4 students) who would love to take part in
this initiative, so all we would need to have would be 4 small
projects they could finish in 3 months work.

The good thing: they are all trained (by me ;) in JSF, have worked
with the framework, have written a small project on their own and that
all using MyFaces!

What do you say? Is there anything we would definitely want to have done?

I have already added a project:
- implementing the architecture for AJAX-based components, this one
would be important and certainly worth a shot

Other suggestions:
- Implementing PRETTY_HTML for all renderers, and getting the html to
be "more" valid than today
- Writing server-side-sort/client-side sort implementations for
dataTable and dataList
- Implementing changes for JSF1.2

What about your suggestions? Would you be interested in mentoring?

Projects can be added at:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005

regards,

Martin

Search Discussions

  • Neal Haggard at Jun 2, 2005 at 4:22 pm
    We would love to see the AJAX-based components, but don't have anything other to offer than a strong yes vote for that.

[...]

  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 2, 2005 at 4:27 pm
    Well, this is one of my most favourite items on the list as well ;)

    regards,

    Martin
[...]

  • Werner Punz at Jun 2, 2005 at 5:40 pm

    Neal Haggard wrote:
    We would love to see the AJAX-based components, but don't have anything other to offer than a strong yes vote for that.
    Yes ajax based components would be nice, btw. I did some checking to
    save work for my current project (which also is in need for ajax
    components and only has two weeks time til delivery) I found some
    interesting stuff on the code templates on java.net, I dont know however
    if the code is compatible with the apache license,
    some of the sun guys has implemented a fully ajaxed textfield with
    autocomplete and drop down, just like google did (and what I need for my
    current project anyway)
  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 2, 2005 at 5:44 pm
    If we can't take it over, we could at least take the hints from there ;)

    regards,

    Martin
    We would love to see the AJAX-based components, but don't have anything other to offer than a strong yes vote for that.
    Yes ajax based components would be nice, btw. I did some checking to
    save work for my current project (which also is in need for ajax
    components and only has two weeks time til delivery) I found some
    interesting stuff on the code templates on java.net, I dont know however
    if the code is compatible with the apache license,
    some of the sun guys has implemented a fully ajaxed textfield with
    autocomplete and drop down, just like google did (and what I need for my
    current project anyway)
  • Werner Punz at Jun 2, 2005 at 5:59 pm

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    If we can't take it over, we could at least take the hints from there ;)

    regards,

    Martin
    exactly my point, I just wanted to give hints on where to find that
    stuff, currently there is a sideproject with good documentation
    regarding ajaxed jsf components going on in the java blueprints project
    on java.net.
  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:03 pm
    Can you post the links to this stuff?

    regards,

    Martin
    If we can't take it over, we could at least take the hints from there ;)

    regards,

    Martin
    exactly my point, I just wanted to give hints on where to find that
    stuff, currently there is a sideproject with good documentation
    regarding ajaxed jsf components going on in the java blueprints project
    on java.net.
  • Werner Punz at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:26 pm
    Sorry, of course, I forgot...
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/nonav/ajax/
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/jsf-ajax/
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/autocomplete-jsf/index.html
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/autocomplete-jsf/design
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/source/browse/bpcatalog/ws/ajax/autocomplete-jsf/
    for the code....

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    Can you post the links to this stuff?

    regards,

    Martin
    If we can't take it over, we could at least take the hints from there ;)

    regards,

    Martin
    exactly my point, I just wanted to give hints on where to find that
    stuff, currently there is a sideproject with good documentation
    regarding ajaxed jsf components going on in the java blueprints project
    on java.net.
  • Matthias Wessendorf at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:39 pm
    cool
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/jsf-ajax/ (and related) is new!

    Ajax and BPCatalog I also saw before. cool stuff,

    starting a print session tomorrow.

    Werner, have you looked at http://www.ajaxfaces.com ?

    Just a note ;)

    --
    Matthias Wessendorf
  • Werner Punz at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:55 pm

    Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
    cool
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/jsf-ajax/ (and related) is new!

    Ajax and BPCatalog I also saw before. cool stuff,

    starting a print session tomorrow.

    Werner, have you looked at http://www.ajaxfaces.com ?
    Nope, is it good?
  • Werner Punz at Jun 2, 2005 at 7:05 pm

    Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

    cool
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/jsf-ajax/ (and related) is new!

    Ajax and BPCatalog I also saw before. cool stuff,

    starting a print session tomorrow.

    Werner, have you looked at http://www.ajaxfaces.com ?

    Just a note ;)
    Ah yes another nifty stuff, I dumped into my current project today...
    delivers fading out of the box by just setting one styleClass tag:
    http://www.axentric.com/aside/fat/fat.js

    I dont have any clue about the license though....

    A friend of mine gave me the link above and this one:
    http://prototype.conio.net/

    that one looks also interesting, although it is heavily tied to rails
    but it is under a MIT style license...
    has the ajax handlers as well...
  • Werner Punz at Jun 3, 2005 at 10:23 am
    Question to all more knowledgable, I am currently migrating the
    autocomplete stuff into myfaces (which I have to do for my project
    anyway), as far as I could see, the blueprints are handled in a Berkley
    Style license.
    I would love to dump the stuff under the Apache2 license onto the
    sourceforge subproject which I already am running and where I already
    have dumped two small components into , once I am finished (which will
    be by the weekend hopefully)
    I just dont know how to handle the licensing issues, can I change the
    package names, how about the headers etc...
    Does anybody know how to solve these issues?

    Werner

    Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
    cool
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/jsf-ajax/ (and related) is new!

    Ajax and BPCatalog I also saw before. cool stuff,

    starting a print session tomorrow.

    Werner, have you looked at http://www.ajaxfaces.com ?

    Just a note ;)
  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 3, 2005 at 12:07 pm
    I don't quite understand you - you want to include berkley style
    license code into MyFaces?

    Which blueprints do you mean?

    regards,

    Martin

    Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
    cool
    https://bpcatalog.dev.java.net/ajax/jsf-ajax/ (and related) is new!

    Ajax and BPCatalog I also saw before. cool stuff,

    starting a print session tomorrow.

    Werner, have you looked at http://www.ajaxfaces.com ?

    Just a note ;)
  • Werner Punz at Jun 3, 2005 at 1:20 pm
    The stuff we are discussing here,
    Sun has the Blueprints project which gives code examples
    for certain things, the last two weeks they released
    code examples for certain ajax JSF controls under a BSD style
    license (no liability you can use this code as is, keep the headers intact
    leave a file with a note in your project yada, yada, yada....)

    What I am currently doing, is to alter one of the components
    (autocomplete) so that it fits into the myfaces api (The sun example
    used some small hooks into classes in com.sun and did things which are
    covered by the MyFaces base classes also (I already dumped 150 LOCs
    because they were covered by MyFaces in the tagging code, and altered
    the rendering code to hook into the MyFaces base APIs), I have to do it
    anyway, to save time. The work gets done with or without being able to
    give it back to myfaces. As long as I use it for my in house project I
    see no big deal in doing but but things become messy, if I start to do
    what I want to do.

    What I want to do:
    Once I get things up and running correctly, I want to dump it into the
    temporary sourceforge Sandbox, which was opened a few days ago, where
    already a few files of mine have been dumped, so that others can look at
    it start to alter it and use it within MyFaces, sort of as an expansion
    pack.

    What I dont know:
    How can I handle the whole licensing issue, there are many components
    currently in the Sun blueprints AJAX project which would give a perfect
    extension for myfaces, over time, but since I am no lawyer and dont have
    any experience, I cannot say what to do so that the licences match.
    (Apache has some strict criteria, Sun an army of Lawyers) without having
    either problems with Apache for mixing their license incorrectly, or
    getting problems with Sun, by mixing their stuff incorrectly into Apache.

    Werner

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    I don't quite understand you - you want to include berkley style
    license code into MyFaces?

    Which blueprints do you mean?

    regards,
  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 3, 2005 at 1:30 pm
    Principally, the BSD and the ASL are compatible (there are problems
    with the GPL, though).

    So it should be no problem to take over the respective code sections,
    if you keep the license information with the code.

    As soon as we take over code into the MyFaces codebase, we will need
    to decide whata we want to do exactly regarding this issue.

    regards,

    Martin

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    I don't quite understand you - you want to include berkley style
    license code into MyFaces?

    Which blueprints do you mean?

    regards,
  • Werner Punz at Jun 3, 2005 at 1:48 pm

    Martin Marinschek wrote:

    Principally, the BSD and the ASL are compatible (there are problems
    with the GPL, though).

    So it should be no problem to take over the respective code sections,
    if you keep the license information with the code.

    As soon as we take over code into the MyFaces codebase, we will need
    to decide whata we want to do exactly regarding this issue.

    regards,

    Martin
    Ok I will dump it with a marker, that I dont know if the licenses are
    compatible, that keep the trouble away in the short term (I always can
    pull it in case Sun does not want it to be reused, which I doubt)
    I dont see it really as my business to figure out whether two BSDly
    derived style licences can work with each other, it is more important
    for me to get things up and running asap and push it into the wild, once
    I am done.
  • Werner Punz at Jun 3, 2005 at 7:09 pm

    Martin Marinschek wrote:

    Principally, the BSD and the ASL are compatible (there are problems
    with the GPL, though).

    So it should be no problem to take over the respective code sections,
    if you keep the license information with the code.

    As soon as we take over code into the MyFaces codebase, we will need
    to decide whata we want to do exactly regarding this issue.

    regards,

    Martin
    Well the situation is kindof weird, I just read the license again, it is
    more or less a BSDish license, with a bunch of disclaimers, I am going
    to post it here:

    -------
    Java BluePrints Solution Catalog License

    Copyright, 2004-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
    are met:

    * Redistribution of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

    * Redistribution in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
    distribution.

    Neither the name of Sun Microsystems, Inc. or the names of contributors
    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
    without specific prior written permission.

    This software is provided "AS IS," without a warranty of any kind.
    ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES,
    INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED.
    SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC. ("SUN") AND ITS LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE
    FOR ANY DAMAGES SUFFERED BY LICENSEE AS A RESULT OF USING, MODIFYING
    OR DISTRIBUTING THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS DERIVATIVES. IN NO EVENT WILL SUN
    OR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST REVENUE, PROFIT OR DATA, OR
    FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE
    DAMAGES, HOWEVER CAUSED AND REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY,
    ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE,
    EVEN IF SUN HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

    You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or
    intended for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance
    of any nuclear facility.

    ---------
    To my knowledge of licenses, this is basically a BSD license, but with a
    few exceptions towards advertising and usage.
    The Apache guys should figure out whether this is compliant to Apache2
    or not, because the Blueprints are an excellent source of information
    and code, which would be a shame if it could not be integrated.

    Anyway... I am making good progress with the ajax autocomplete
    integration, it is not working yet, but I have everything in place now,
    to debug the hell out of it and fix a few flaws and errors I probably
    introduced by the porting process. I guess it will be done by tomorrow.
    (some weird config file problems with my myfaces config stopped me from
    being further)

    Werner
  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 4, 2005 at 9:14 am
    I would say this license is still compatible - essentially, there are
    no restrictions except for not being able to advertise with Sun's
    name, that should be alright I'd say.

    regards,

    Martin
[...]

  • Dave Sag at Jun 2, 2005 at 5:28 pm
    I think this is a top idea.

    I'm not sure who decides these things of how but if my vote counted
    i'd say go for it.

    cheers

    dave

[...]

  • Werner Punz at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:09 pm

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
[...]

    An in my opinion interesting thing would be some kind of scope controls.
    (Have been carrying the idea for a while now but no time to look into it)
    It is somewhat redundant to what Clanhan does in Shale with the dialog
    system, but nevertheless, the idea is following.
    You currently have only a session and a request and application scope.

    The idea would be to have some kind of special tag, <x:scope
    scopeName="<scopename>" value="<some storage bean>"/>
    which marks a scope, as long as you run into pages which have this
    scope, the bean which is stored is not garbage collected, it is kept in
    ram, as soon as you run out of the scope it is dumped into the garbage
    collector.

    That way you could save the serialization vial x:saveState and you dont
    have to session or traverse every data you have to move between forms
    and formstates all the time.
    Shale has something very similar, but more complex, which also
    interweaves stacked scopes and page flow, but in many cases you dont
    want to tackle another framework and xml syntax.

    How about this for a suggestion?
  • Enrique Medina at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:10 pm
    Please, count with another huge YES for AJAX ;-)

[...]

  • Matthias Wessendorf at Jun 2, 2005 at 6:19 pm
    I also like the Ajax stuff.

    I noticed ajaxfaces.com, they are using a serval servlet for their
    ajax stuff; similar to my first JSF_AJAX_TEST, since JSF request
    (*.jsf) goes to the pages that contains the jsf components
    (default...) :)

    Note, that Shale has a *remote* facility with handles all *.remote
    request with Jakarta Commons Chain (CoR-Impl). To look at something
    like that is also a nice thing,
    just my 2 cents.

    -Matthias
[...]

  • Martin Marinschek at Jun 3, 2005 at 3:52 am
    Yes, we would definitely have a look over the plate with this student,
    and then implement what is best for MyFaces and works well in other
    platforms!

    regards,

    Martin
[...]

  • Jesse Alexander (KBSA 21) at Jun 2, 2005 at 7:21 pm