First off, its good to see users helping users on the wiki. I have a
suggestion when it comes to component documentation, however, which is
that we update the documentation on the website.

We are in desperate need of help in that department. Here is how you
can help. Checkout the latest source code from subversion. Update
the xdocs used to build the website (they are located in
source/documentation/content/xdocs/components.) Use the
component-template.xml as a basis for the new documentation. Note
there are already place holder pages for the components but the
template has changed slightly so make sure it conforms to
component-template.xml when you modify it.

Important: run the pages through Apache Forrest and proofread them.
Most likely you will get some complaints from forrest about your XML
until you get the hang of things. You just need to download
ApacheForrest, set up FORREST_HOME in your path and type 'forrest' in
the build dir.

Once everything looks good generate a svn-patch. Please create the
patch from the top level of the project. Also, please make sure the
patch does not contain your other local changes unrelated to the
documentation. Submit the patch and any brand new files (most likely
images for the screenshots) to the dev list and a committer will apply
them.

Screenshots are needed for almost all of the components. Try to use
one from the simple examples to make it consistent with what the user
will see if they download the simple examples.

sean

Search Discussions

  • Sean Schofield at May 31, 2005 at 6:40 pm
    For those adding documentation on the *standard* JSF components I
    would suggest that there is already a pretty good resource out there

    http://www.exadel.com/tutorial/jsf/jsftags-guide.html

    I use this one all the time. I don't want to discourage users from
    using the wiki but we should probably focus on myfaces-specific
    knowledge. Ex. How to get the myfaces examples running in JBuilder or
    how to get simple examples working on Web Logic x.y

    sean
[...]

  • Werner Punz at May 31, 2005 at 7:30 pm
    Ah about the forrst thing, I overlooked the info the just saw it after
    my last mail.
  • Werner Punz at May 31, 2005 at 7:34 pm
    Wouldnt that be a good info on the wiki :-)...
    btw... what is this Forrest thing?

    Werner

    Sean Schofield wrote:
[...]

  • Sean Schofield at May 31, 2005 at 7:54 pm
    Yes that would make a good wiki actually (as long as its geared
    towards building the myfaces website)

    sean

    Sean Schofield wrote:
[...]

  • Martin Marinschek at May 31, 2005 at 10:18 pm
    I believe that if users are more comfortable with using the wiki, they
    should definitely do the documentation there - and as soon as we think
    the time is ripe, we can take documentation over to the main page.

    If you request of users to check out the source-head, install svn for
    that, get forrest, get to know how forrest works and finally how to
    create a patch, we will never get help with documentation, I would say
    ;)

    So, as for me, please keep on documenting!

    regards,

    Martin

    Sean Schofield wrote:
[...]

  • Sean Schofield at May 31, 2005 at 10:25 pm
    True ... true :-)

    But if you want to be *extra* helpful ... please see my suggested path
    ;-) Eventually we should move the doc from the wiki to the website
    though so it doesn't appear in two different places.

    sean

    Sean Schofield wrote:
[...]

  • Martin Marinschek at May 31, 2005 at 10:45 pm
    Of course, redundancy is something we should get rid of...

    but dear users, before you don't document, document on the wiki pages ;)

    regards,

    Martin

    Sean Schofield wrote:
[...]

  • Werner Punz at May 31, 2005 at 11:24 pm
    Awe come on, why are you all so negative towards the wiki, I see wikis
    as being excellent sandboxes for later documentation.
    (In the past in my former companies projects I used them as a dumping
    ground for on the fly info which I gathered, which I later filtered out
    and sorted it and moved it into the official docs, save my life a few times)

    It is not really redundancy but more like a first testing ground before
    it is moved into the official docs.

    Werner

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    Of course, redundancy is something we should get rid of...

    but dear users, before you don't document, document on the wiki pages ;)

    regards,

    Martin
  • Brandon Goodin at May 31, 2005 at 11:33 pm
    With the iBatis wiki we have a section about things that are not yet
    documented. As users provide content for the undocumented features we
    move it into the main documentation. It's a very convenient and
    accessible place for users to contribute.

    http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/IBATIS/Home

    Brandon

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    Of course, redundancy is something we should get rid of...

    but dear users, before you don't document, document on the wiki pages ;)

    regards,

    Martin
  • Sean Schofield at May 31, 2005 at 11:54 pm
    That's fine. Like Martin said its an easier way to get started
    documenting things. I was just making the point that the website
    documentation is where we really need to end up. If you want to use
    wiki as an iterim step or you are not ultimately comfortable with
    forrest, etc. that's fine.

    Nobody is anti wiki here ;-)

    Martin Marinschek wrote:
    Of course, redundancy is something we should get rid of...

    but dear users, before you don't document, document on the wiki pages ;)

    regards,

    Martin
  • Werner Punz at May 31, 2005 at 11:13 pm
    Hi Sean, actually I think a Wiki makes an excellent documentation
    sandbox, one reason why I dumped (probably you sent
    the request for the documentation because I left an entry a few minutes
    earlier regarding the aliasbean) an entry in the wiki was
    because I saw it rather empty and wanted to keep track
    of the documentation I could gather in this list on this control the
    last few weeks. The wiki was an excellent place to dump it sort of as a
    sandbox.

    Best way to do it... leave a neat documentation on the website on how to
    start documenting, how to build the whole thing and how to use the tools.
    (Actually Forrest was totally new to me)
    And then encourage to people to use the wiki and also move in the long
    term to the documentation system once they feel that their entries are
    stable and they have a good grasp on the tools.

    Sean Schofield wrote:
    True ... true :-)

    But if you want to be *extra* helpful ... please see my suggested path
    ;-) Eventually we should move the doc from the wiki to the website
    though so it doesn't appear in two different places.

    sean

groupusers @
categoriesmyfaces
postedMay 31, '05 at 6:33p