So I'm following your advice and going the easy route of apt-get everything.

My original server had this config:
Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0 Server

And two years later we're at:
Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1 Server

Is that really the state of two years of progress in apt-get packages,
or did I choose the wrong repository?

And so after copying over configs and startups I'm getting this error:

Can't call method "auth_name" on an undefined value at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Apache2/AuthCookieDBI.pm line 284.

Which is: my $auth_name = $r->auth_name;

So the fact that $r is undefined tells me that whatever is running is
NOT running under mod_perl, is this a valid assessment?

Because right now I will have to get into a fight with my sys-admin who
will say it's not working because I didn't configure something
correctly, but my position is if he apt-gets everything and then copies
over the config/startup from the old (working) install then everything
*should* work so he's probably left out something.

Do you see now why I would prefer to work with a PaaS instead of admins,
I don't want to have to deal with this, I just want to write apps.

Thanks!

Tosh

--
McIntosh Cooey - Twelve Hundred Group LLC - http://www.1200group.com/

Search Discussions

  • Adam Prime at Jul 10, 2011 at 3:50 pm

[...]

    This does sounds like something in the config didn't get copied over. I
    believe your stuff runs as registry/perlrun scripts, so that would be
    the configuration that's missing.

    Adam
  • Matisse Enzer at Jul 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm
    Do you have a configuration similar to this in httpd.conf:

    <Directory /www/domain.com/authcookiedbi>
    AuthType Apache2::AuthCookieDBI
    AuthName WhatEver
    PerlAuthenHandler Apache2::AuthCookieDBI->authenticate
    PerlAuthzHandler Apache2::AuthCookieDBI->authorize
    require valid-user
    # or you can require users:
    require user jacob
    # You can optionally require groups.
    require group system
    </Directory>

[...]

  • Hendrik Schumacher at Jul 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    Maybe you are using the wrong sethandler value for your application, check

    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_GlobalRequest_

    If you are using a global $r variable you should specify

    SetHandler perl-script

    and not

    SetHandler modperl

    Using the latter you get the $r variable as an argument to your handler-sub.

    Hendrik

[...]

  • Tosh Cooey at Jul 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm
    Sorry, false alarm... I had subclassed Apache2::AuthCookieDBI 2.12 and
    had to do things like this:

    *Apache2::AuthCookieDBI::_dbi_connect = sub {

    since Apache2::AuthCookieDBI wasn't very subclassable, and with the
    upgrade to a very nice Apache2::AuthCookieDBI 2.14 my whatever I did up
    there broke things.

    I guess I owe my admin a beer.

    Tosh

[...]

groupmodperl @