Hi.

We're using embperl with mod_perl to handle files ending in .epl. This is
mostly good, except it seems to result in a 500 error being logged whenever
someone attempts to access a nonexistent .epl file. Is there any way to
configure embperl to give a more expected 404 error?

--
Michael Stevens
Dianomi Ltd

Tel: 020 7802 5530
Fax: 020 7630 7356
www.dianomi.com

The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the
addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. Dianomi
Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London. EC3N 2SG.
Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration Number 4513809.
VAT registration number: 809754988

Search Discussions

  • Robby Desmond at Dec 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm
    Hi Michael,

    http://perl.apache.org/embperl/pod/doc/Embperl.-page-13-.htm

    You'll notice this:
    "Sometimes you want to have a different behaviour. One possibility is to
    let Apache display a custom error page (of course only when you run
    under mod_perl).

    To get this working you need to set the option optReturnError (262144)
    in your httpd.conf in the EMBPERL_OPTIONS directive.

    With this option set, Embperl sends no output in case of an error. It
    returns the error back to Apache or the calling program. When running
    under mod_perl this gives you the chance to use the Apache ErrorDocument
    directive to show a custom error-document."

    The non-existent URL is still calling the Embperl handler, presumably
    because Embperl is supposed to take control of that URI-space, or the
    request was for an .epl file (that didn't actually exist), so you should
    still be able to pass the error back up to Apache, and have mod_perl do
    something useful with it.

    -R

    www.dianomi.com <http://www.dianomi.com>

    The information in this message and any attachment is intended for the
    addressee and is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
    Dianomi Ltd, Registered Office: One America Square, Crosswall, London.
    EC3N 2SG. Registered in England and Wales with Company Registration
    Number 4513809. VAT registration number: 809754988
    --
    Robby Desmond
    BiblioVault Operations Assistant
    University of Chicago Press
    http://www.bibliovault.org/
    ph: 773-834-2387
    cell: 773-458-0959
    rdesmond@press.uchicago.edu

  • Michael Stevens at Dec 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm
    Robby,

    Thanks, but we've actually got that set already, so I don't think it's the
    problem.
[...]

  • Richter at Dec 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm
    Hi Michael,

    It should return a 404 and not a 500.

    What are your exact setting for EMBPERL_OPTIONS ?

    gerald

[...]

  • Michael Stevens at Dec 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm
    We set it up like this in httpd.conf:

    LoadModule embperl_module
    /opt/dianomi/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.9/x86_64-linux/auto/Embperl/Embperl.so
    Embperl_Options 262144
    PerlModule Embperl

[...]

  • Richter at Jan 12, 2011 at 4:42 am
    Hi,

    this looks ok.

    What ist he exact error message you got in the httpd error log, when someone requests a non exitent epl file?

    Gerald

[...]

  • Ed Grimm at Dec 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm
    This sounds very much like an issue we had many years ago when we were
    just getting started with EmbPerl 1.3.x. It turned out to be due to a
    custom handler we'd written, to merge server-side includes with EmbPerl.
    That code wasn't distinguishing its failures - it was simply returning a
    BAD_REQUEST error if HTML::EmbPerl::Execute returned any error.

    Initially, we fixed our code to be more intelligent, but later eliminated
    that handler entirely, as we became more comfortable with using Execute
    for our includes.

    --
    Ed Grimm
    Identity Services