Gerald has fixed the memory corruption that caused "make test" to spin
on ia64 and alpha :)

I have uploaded a new version of libembperl-perl incorporating these
changes (2.0b12dev1-1). More interestingly, I've also built this
version with Apache2/mod_perl2 support (as well as Apache1/mod_perl1 -
it uses some bootstrap magic to choose the right .so) and added some
embperl.conf/embperl.load files for the Debian Apache2
"a2enmod/a2dismod" commands.

If you have an interest in having Embperl2 work "out of the box" in
the upcoming Debian release, *please* give this a quick test
(particularly the Apache2 bits) and notify me of any problems you
encounter using the "reportbug" command. The cutoff for me to upload
new packages and still have them make the release is tomorrow, so make
it quick ;)

--
- Gus

  • Christophe Le Bars at Aug 16, 2004 at 12:57 pm

    Angus Lees writes:
    If you have an interest in having Embperl2 work "out of the box" in
    the upcoming Debian release, *please* give this a quick test
    I've just reported a bug on the Debian BTS with Embperl2 ("apache -t" segfault)

    It's not so big an issue (AFIASee Embperl itself works very well) but
    because of this bug, the debian apache reload/restart system can't work
    'out of the box'.

    Seems to be a problem similar to this one :

    http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/2004-07/msg00070.html

    --
    Christophe

  • Gerald Richter at Aug 16, 2004 at 1:03 pm

    I've just reported a bug on the Debian BTS with Embperl2
    ("apache -t" segfault)

    It's not so big an issue (AFIASee Embperl itself works very
    well) but because of this bug, the debian apache
    reload/restart system can't work 'out of the box'.

    Seems to be a problem similar to this one :

    http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/2004-07/msg00070.html
    The problem is that it doesn't occur anymore for me (but I don't have a
    debian by hand for testing at the moment).

    Are you able to generate a stackbacktrace from gdb for the segfault? That
    would help very much

    Thanks

    Gerald

  • Gerald Richter at Aug 16, 2004 at 7:12 pm
    Hi,

    I have tried hard, but I do not get this error here.

    Which version of Perl, Apache and mod-perl you are using?

    Could you please run

    httpd -t -f /path/to/httpd.conf -DEMBPERL_APDEBUG

    And send me the output. Also can you please try without the ClearModuleList.
    Does this change anything?

    Thanks

    Gerald

    Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

    Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
    E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 939-122
    WWW: http://www.ecos.de/ Fax: +49 6133 939-333

    The problem is that it doesn't occur anymore for me (but I
    don't have
    a debian by hand for testing at the moment).

    Are you able to generate a stackbacktrace from gdb for the segfault?
    That would help very much

    Is this enough ? :

    [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 31380)]
    0x080554d0 in ap_remove_module ()
    (gdb) s
    Single stepping until exit from function ap_remove_module,
    which has no line number information.
    Cannot find user-level thread for LWP 31380: generic error
    (gdb) BT
    #0 0x080554d0 in ap_remove_module ()
    Error accessing memory address 0xbffffbcc: No such process.
    (gdb)

    --
    Christophe

  • Christophe Le Bars at Aug 17, 2004 at 3:25 am

    "Gerald Richter" <richter@ecos.de> writes:
    Which version of Perl, Apache and mod-perl you are using?
    a classic debian sarge-testing system :

    ii apache 1.3.31-2 Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
    ii apache-common 1.3.31-2 Support files for all Apache webservers
    ii apache-dev 1.3.31-2 Apache webserver development kit

    ii apache-perl 1.3.31-2 Versatile, high-performance HTTP server with Perl support

    This one is another apache but with static Perl & it works better :

    # apache-perl -t -f /etc/apache-perl/httpd.conf -DEMBPERL_APDEBUG
    [Mon Aug 16 21:23:53 2004] [warn] module mod_so.c is already added, skipping
    [Mon Aug 16 21:23:53 2004] [warn] module mod_perl.c is already added, skipping
    [Mon Aug 16 21:23:54 2004] [warn] EmbperlDebug: About to add mod_embperl.c as dynamic module [11870/0]\n
    Syntax OK

    no segfault.

    ii apache-utils 1.3.31-2 Utility programs for webservers
    ii libapache-db-perl 0.09-1 Run the interactive Perl debugger under mod_perl
    ii libapache-dbi-perl 0.94-1 Connect apache server to database via perl's DBI
    ii libapache-dbilogger-perl 0.93-2 Tracks what's being transferred in a DBI database
    ii libapache-mod-perl 1.29.0.2-9 Integration of perl with the Apache web server
    ii libapache-request-perl 1.1-0.1 Generic Apache Request Library
    ii libapache-session-perl 1.54-2 Perl modules for keeping persistent user data across http reques
    ii libapache-sessionx-perl 2.00b5-1 An extented persistence framework for session data

    ii perl 5.8.4-2 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language.
    ii libperl5.8 5.8.4-2 Shared Perl library.
    ii perl-base 5.8.4-2 The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister.
    ii perl-doc 5.8.4-2 Perl documentation.
    ii perl-modules 5.8.4-2 Core Perl modules.

    ii libperl5.6 5.6.1-8.2 Shared Perl library.
    ii perl-5.005 6.3 Transitional package.
    ii perl-5.005-base 6.3 Transitional package.
    ii perl-5.6 6.3 Transitional package.

    these are old compatibility packages because this system had never been
    reinstalled from scratch...
    Could you please run

    httpd -t -f /path/to/httpd.conf -DEMBPERL_APDEBUG
    # gdb apache
    GNU gdb 6.1-debian
    There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "i386-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

    (gdb) set args -t -f /etc/apache/httpd.conf -DEMBPERL_APDEBUG
    (gdb) r
    Starting program: /usr/sbin/apache -t -f /etc/apache/httpd.conf -DEMBPERL_APDEBUG
    (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
    [New Thread 16384 (LWP 11948)]
    (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[Mon Aug 16 21:28:39 2004] [warn] module mod_so.c is already added, skipping
    (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[Mon Aug 16 21:28:40 2004] [warn] EmbperlDebug: About to add mod_embperl.c as dynamic module [11948/0]\n
    Syntax OK

    [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 11948)]
    0x080554d0 in ap_remove_module ()
    (gdb) s
    Single stepping until exit from function ap_remove_module,
    which has no line number information.
    Cannot find user-level thread for LWP 11948: generic error
    (gdb) BT
    #0 0x080554d0 in ap_remove_module ()
    Error accessing memory address 0xbffffb8c: No such process.

    And send me the output. Also can you please try without the ClearModuleList.
    Does this change anything?
    No.

    BTW, I've just also tried libembperl-perl_2.0b12dev1-1_i386.deb on a woody
    system with only apache & perl & the minimum to satisfy the dependencies
    & I've the same bug...

    ii perl 5.8.4-2 Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language.
    ii perl-base 5.8.4-2 The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister.
    ii perl-modules 5.8.4-2 Core Perl modules.
    ii apache 1.3.31-2 Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
    ii apache-common 1.3.31-2 Support files for all Apache webservers
    ii apache-utils 1.3.31-2 Utility programs for webservers
    ii libapache-mod-perl 1.29.0.2-9 Integration of perl with the Apache web server

    --
    Christophe

  • Gerald Richter at Aug 17, 2004 at 6:42 am
    Hi,

    I was able to reproduce and fix the problen on windows. It occrs because
    Apache 1.3 does not call the module initialization when running with -t, so
    Embperl was not able to unload correctly. It's now fixed and commited to the
    CVS. Hopefully Angus will create a new debian package soon, but I am not
    quite sure when he gets up. If anybody wants to test inbetween, I can
    provide a standard tar.gz file for Embperl with the fixes.

[...]

    GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
    License, and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute
    copies of it under certain conditions.

    #0 0x080554d0 in ap_remove_module ()
[...]

  • Christophe Le Bars at Aug 17, 2004 at 10:31 am

    "Gerald Richter" <richter@ecos.de> writes:
    I was able to reproduce and fix the problen on windows. It occrs because
    Good news :-)
    Apache 1.3 does not call the module initialization when running with -t, so
    Embperl was not able to unload correctly. It's now fixed and commited to the
    CVS. Hopefully Angus will create a new debian package soon, but I am not
    quite sure when he gets up. If anybody wants to test inbetween, I can
    provide a standard tar.gz file for Embperl with the fixes.
    I applied the fix from the cvs on the debian source tree and now it
    works perfectly. Thanks.

    --
    Christophe

  • Angus Lees at Aug 17, 2004 at 1:01 pm