The docs say that so long as you don't touch udat, a session won't be
created. Then they are more specific and say so long as you don't
*write* to udat one won't be created. I just want to make sure that
reading udat doesn't cause a cookie to be created (or hit the
database). I think that's the case, but I just wanted to double
check. Otherwise I can do what I do when I want to write to udat
only if it already exists:
$session = tied %$udat;
return undef if (!$session); # I don't think this happens
$sessid = $session->getid();
return undef if (!$sessid); # Won't create a session id

I'm trying to make sure that my site doesn't gratuitously create
cookies until there's actually something that the user wants us to
remember.

--

Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
http://consulting.somewhere.com/

everyone else's.

  • Gerald Richter at Oct 16, 2002 at 6:08 am

    The docs say that so long as you don't touch udat, a session won't be
    created. Then they are more specific and say so long as you don't
    *write* to udat one won't be created. I just want to make sure that
    reading udat doesn't cause a cookie to be created (or hit the
    database). I think that's the case, but I just wanted to double
    check. Otherwise I can do what I do when I want to write to udat
    only if it already exists:
    $session = tied %$udat;
    return undef if (!$session); # I don't think this happens
    $sessid = $session->getid();
    return undef if (!$sessid); # Won't create a session
    id

    $session->getid() will never create a new session if it not already exists

    Gerald

    Gerald Richter ecos electronic communication services gmbh

    Post: Tulpenstrasse 5 D-55276 Dienheim b. Mainz
    E-Mail: richter@ecos.de Voice: +49 6133 925131
    WWW: http://www.ecos.de Fax: +49 6133 925152
  • Kee Hinckley at Oct 16, 2002 at 2:12 pm

    The docs say that so long as you don't touch udat, a session won't be
    created. Then they are more specific and say so long as you don't
    *write* to udat one won't be created. I just want to make sure that
    reading udat doesn't cause a cookie to be created (or hit the
    database). I think that's the case, but I just wanted to double
    check. Otherwise I can do what I do when I want to write to udat
    only if it already exists:
    $session = tied %$udat;
    return undef if (!$session); # I don't think this happens
    $sessid = $session->getid();
    return undef if (!$sessid); # Won't create a session id
    $session->getid() will never create a new session if it not already exists
    That I'm clear on. But will
    $a = $udat{foo};
    create a new session?
    --

    Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
    http://consulting.somewhere.com/

    everyone else's.

  • Gerald Richter at Oct 17, 2002 at 4:05 am

    That I'm clear on. But will
    $a = $udat{foo};
    create a new session?
    This will not send a session cookie, but (if I remeber correct), it wil
    create a session in your session store. So actualy no session for the user
    is created, just some space is wasted.