While trying to migrate a project from Maven 2 to Maven 3, I
encountered a problem, the essence of which can be demonstrated by the
following simple example.
Consider the following POM:

<project>
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

<groupId>test</groupId>
<artifactId>A</artifactId>
<version>1.0</version>

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
<artifactId>axis2-xmlbeans</artifactId>
<version>1.5</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
<artifactId>axis2-codegen</artifactId>
<version>1.5</version>
<exclusions>
<exclusion>
<artifactId>geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec</artifactId>
</exclusion>
</exclusions>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</project>

Running 'mvn dependency:resolve' for this POM yields a strange result.
Namely, it says that that my module depends on
geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec with 'compile' scope.
This artifact is a transitive dependency of both axis2-xmlbeans and
axis2-codegen, and, according to rules for transitive dependencies, I
would expect the resolved scope of geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec to be
'provided'. With Maven 2 I get exactly the result I expect.

Should I raise a JIRA ticket for this issue, or am I missing some
point, and this is the desired behaviour in the new version of Maven?

For reference - I used Maven version 3.0.4. I also checked the above
with the latest version (2.6) of dependency plugin - result was the
same.

Best regards,
Dmitry Batrak

  • Anders Hammar at Dec 5, 2012 at 11:47 am
    First I thought this could be a problem in the dependency plugin, but I see
    the same result when viewing this in the dependency hierachy of m2e (which
    uses Maven 3.0.4). Seems to be a bug - you should file a ticket.

    /Anders