We have some integration tests and prefer to use an embedded Tomcat
instance vs deploying to an external, running server (avoid external dep
problem). The tests are in a separate module than the war module. The
need is to retrieve the built war from the local repo and explode it into
the working directory for the embedded instance.

We're also trying to avoid using a Maven plugin to retrieve and explode the
war to prevent problems with running the tests in IDEs (Eclipse + m2e and
IDEA). (However, possibly a Maven plugin wouldn't cause problems for them?)

I'm wondering if anyone has solved this in a simple manner. I've been
googling, reading, and trying a few things and have not found an answer
(perhaps I'm close but missing a final how-to). I've investigated things
like Shrinkwrap, java.util.jar.JarFile, and bloggers' own craptaculous
approaches on file manipulations, and now wondering if Aether is what to
try next. What I've seen keeps looking like brute-force coding...

I'm close to moving the ITs into the war module, as the packaged war is
right there in target...
However, would be good to know a good way or two of solving retrieval of
artifacts from the local repo.

Search Discussions

  • Winsor, Daniel at Nov 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm
    Hi,

    If I understood correctly, what I'd do is make a dummy pom with a
    maven-dependency-plugin:unpack goal with output directory as the working
    directory, then just build that dummy project whenever you want.

    Another thing you can do is overlay the .war when building the test
    module, or vice versa, using the maven-war-plugin.

    I don't have problems running either of these plugins in Eclipse.

    Hope this helps,
    Daniel Winsor
    Associate, IT Architecture

[...]

  • Jeff Jensen at Nov 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I tried the dependency plugin. Works great as a Maven goal. I have not
    found a m2e lifecycle mapping for unpack yet; finding some info, so hope to
    make it work within the IDE.
    Tried this [0] with <execute/> but only removed the warning of no lifecycle
    mapped. Will continue trying to find the answer, as it appears to work for
    others...

    [0]
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8706017/maven-dependency-plugin-goals-copy-dependencies-unpack-is-not-supported-b

[...]

  • Jeff Jensen at Nov 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    Fixed.

    We also use Spring STS, and, whatever its "Spring STS Maven Support" is, it
    was preventing m2e from executing it.
    Uninstalling just the STS Maven Support feature magically made it work.

    For future googlers, this is the page to read:
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered

    On 11/2/12 1:07 PM, "Jeff Jensen" <jeffjensen@upstairstechnology.com>
[...]

  • Ron Wheeler at Nov 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm
    Did you have 2 m2e installations?
    STS includes m2e.

    Ron
[...]

    Ron Wheeler
    President
    Artifact Software Inc
    email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
    skype: ronaldmwheeler
    phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

  • Jeff Jensen at Nov 3, 2012 at 6:38 pm
    Yes, that's what I uninstalled, the STS one. Funny there were no
    conflicts noticed prior.

    And it's weird behavior still - it works at Eclipse start but not on
    clean or incremental builds. Restarting Eclipse causes it to work but
    then it stops after one build. If I delete its dir and the dep
    plugin's markers dir and then force Eclipse incremental or clean
    build, I see the "Unpacking..." message in the Eclipse "Maven Console"
    view, but it doesn't do it. At least it works at Eclipse start, but
    requires running Maven build manually to make it happen again.

    On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Ron Wheeler
[...]

  • Ron Wheeler at Nov 4, 2012 at 1:08 am
    We never use anything outside Eclipse/STS and do not have any problems
    with Maven.

    I don't understand why you have m2e installed with STS.

    Ron
[...]

  • Jeff Jensen at Nov 4, 2012 at 2:05 am
    It is the STS plugin for Eclipse, not the STS distro. Because m2e has
    updated faster than STS releases.

    On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Ron Wheeler
[...]

  • Ron Wheeler at Nov 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm
    I guess that one of the downsides of having everything nicely packaged
    in a working integrated IDE is that I am dependent on Springsource to
    determine what versions I have to use.
    Currently STS includes an m2e version 1.2.0-20120903 which would seem
    to be pretty current if you want to stick with stable builds and do not
    need 1.3.

    It works very well but our team makes very simple use of Maven and
    appreciates a single IDE with no plug-ins that require a lot of
    maintenance overhead.

    Ron
[...]

  • Winsor, Daniel at Nov 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm
    Hi,

    I ran into the use case where I'd like to have an overlay that will either
    include a file or not, depending on a property. EG
    <includes>
    <include>file1</include>
    <include>file2</include>

    <include>${some.property}</include>

    </includes>

    Where
    <properties>
    <some.property></some.property>
    <!-- OR <some.property>file3</some.property> -->
    </properties>

    Unfortunately this results in an exception being thrown during the build,
    since the file is null -> Failed to execute goal
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.1.1:war (default-war) on
    project neo-widgets: Execution default-war of goal
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:2.1.1:war failed.
    NullPointerException

    Interestingly, the packageExcludes parameter of the same plugin does
    accept null. So although I made a workaround by setting the property to
    "dummy_value_cant_be_null", should this plugin be made to accept null
    include parameters?

    Thank you,
    Daniel Winsor
    Associate, IT Architecture

  • Dennis Lundberg at Nov 4, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    Hi Daniel,

    Could you please try the latest version, 2.3, of Maven WAR Plugin and
    see if it has the same behavior?

    If it work the same way, then please file an issue in JIRA at
    https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MWAR