Hi all.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to exclude DAO tests. The
reason for this being that not everyone who checks a project out may have
the credentials necessary to connect to the database.

At the moment, I have two profiles like this:

<profiles>
<profile>
<id>skip-dao-tests</id>
<activation>
<activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
</activation>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<configuration>
<excludes>
<exclude>**/WhatEverDaoTest.java</exclude>
</excludes>
</configuration>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
</profile>
<profile>
<id>run-dao-tests</id>
<activation>
<property>
<name>run.dao.tests</name>
<value>true</value>
</property>
</activation>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
<dependencies>
</dependencies>
</profile>
</profiles>

This works fine, but it just seems like it's bloating the pom.

I could move the DAO tests to a new module, but then, I'd have two different
sets of cobertura/surefire reports for the same thing.

Any different approaches I can try? Or is this pretty much it?

Thanks.

  • Paul Benedict at Sep 15, 2008 at 1:07 am
    The idea of using a profile to exclude a wildcard set of classes is
    the correct approach.

    Paul
[...]

  • Dennis Lundberg at Sep 15, 2008 at 8:52 am
    A totally different way to do it is to run your DAO test cases against
    an embedded database like HSQLDB or perhaps Derby. We use HSQLDB for
    this with at file based database that gets created locally when the
    tests are run.

    I know this doesn't answer your question, I'm just thinking outside the
    box here :-)

    --
    Dennis Lundberg

  • Haikal Saadh at Sep 15, 2008 at 9:01 am
    Yeah, that's how I started out initially, but unfortunately, this app's a
    wrapper for an Oracle database, and thus, needs oracle specific SQL.

    Haikal Saadh wrote:
[...]

  • Olivier THIERRY at Sep 15, 2008 at 9:18 am
    I can't see if you use TestNG or JUnit to write your tests, but if you use
    TestNG you can use its groups feature.
    You can put your dao tests in a dedicated group and exclude this group when
    running tests.
    This link should help you :
    http://testng.org/doc/documentation-main.html#test-groups

    Haikal Saadh wrote:
[...]

    Seules 2 choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; et encore
    pour l'univers, je ne suis pas sûr … (Einstein)
  • Rusty Wright at Oct 13, 2008 at 9:59 pm
    Hey, for once I figured something out on my own. I need to exclude a test on Windows; it's testing sending email using localhost and my desktop pc isn't running an smtp server. In my pom.xml I have

    <profiles>
    <profile>
    <id>windows</id>

    <activation>
    <os>
    <family>Windows</family>
    </os>
    </activation>

    <build>
    <plugins>
    <plugin>

    <configuration>
    <excludedGroups>unix-only</excludedGroups>
    </configuration>
    </plugin>
    </plugins>
    </build>
    </profile>
    </profiles>

    And the test method starts like this:

    @Test(groups = {
    "unix-only"
    })
    public void sendLocalTest() {
    final Email myEmail = new Email("localhost", "root", null, "rusty@whatever");

    log.debug("sending using localhost");

    Haikal Saadh wrote:
[...]

  • Dennis Lundberg at Sep 15, 2008 at 11:05 am
    We have Oracle for production as well. What we ended up with was 3 ddl
    scripts:

    1. general.ddl: General SQL-92 (or whatever version you prefer) syntax
    2. oracle.ddl: Oracle specific syntax for production
    3. hsqldb.ddl: HSQLDB syntax for unit tests (same as 2, but slightly
    different syntax)

    With some tweaking to 1 there were actually very few thing that needed
    to go into 2 and 3. Just a couple of sequences IIRC.

    So for production we create the database using scripts 1 and 2, and for
    tests we use scripts 1 and 3.

    Haikal Saadh wrote:
[...]

  • Stephane-3 at Nov 23, 2012 at 5:44 am
    Hello Dennis,

    I'm interested in how you set up your multi database servers with syntax
    specifics project.

    Could you elaborate on that ?

    I have a MySql based project and am now trying to port it on Oracle but some
    sql statements need specific syntax.

    It would be nice to inject some Oracle specific DAOs in the Spring context
    when the sql syntax requires iit.

    Thanks for any direction tips !

  • Dennis Lundberg at Nov 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm