Grokbase Groups Maven users May 2003
Hi

Just getting starting with Maven (as a replacement for Ant) and I'm
attempting to use the Cactus plugin, but without much success. My
Cactus tests aren't compiling (the Cactus imports can't be found), but
if I look in Maven's repository, there are the Cactus jars. I don't
have a dependency entry in my project.xml file (I looked at several
Jakarta project files--like the Turbine project.xml--and they did not
reference cactus there). I've also attempted to add a reference to
cactus in the dependency list, but each time Maven can't download the
jar file. What am I missing?

TIA
bmj

  • Alex Vollmer at May 30, 2003 at 3:55 pm
    Brian,

    I haven't run Cactus but typically you need to tell Maven what JARs you
    want even for activities unrelated to simple compilation. You mentioned
    that you tried to add a <dependency> for Cactus but it didn't download.
    You should probably look into why that is happening. If you can't get
    that to work, you can at least "short-circuit" the JAR download and
    simply put the Cactus JAR in your Maven repository. BTW, another handy
    trick with Maven is to run it with the '-X' option which will print out
    in great detail exactly what it is executing and, more importantly
    perhaps, the CLASSPATH it is using.

    Hope this helps.

    --Alex

    brian janaszek wrote:
    Hi

    Just getting starting with Maven (as a replacement for Ant) and I'm
    attempting to use the Cactus plugin, but without much success. My
    Cactus tests aren't compiling (the Cactus imports can't be found), but
    if I look in Maven's repository, there are the Cactus jars. I don't
    have a dependency entry in my project.xml file (I looked at several
    Jakarta project files--like the Turbine project.xml--and they did not
    reference cactus there). I've also attempted to add a reference to
    cactus in the dependency list, but each time Maven can't download the
    jar file. What am I missing?

    TIA
    bmj

  • Brian janaszek at May 30, 2003 at 4:09 pm
    Alex

    Thanks. I was trying to fool Maven, because the Cactus jars were in the
    repository (albeit with longer dev release names), and I couldn't get
    Maven to see those jars. But, I simply replaced those jars with the
    jars I was using with Ant (simply named cactus-1.5.jar and
    cactus-ant-1.5.jar) and updated my project.xml and everything is working
    fine.

    bmj

    brian janaszek wrote:
    Hi

    Just getting starting with Maven (as a replacement for Ant) and I'm
    attempting to use the Cactus plugin, but without much success. My
    Cactus tests aren't compiling (the Cactus imports can't be found), but
    if I look in Maven's repository, there are the Cactus jars. I don't
    have a dependency entry in my project.xml file (I looked at several
    Jakarta project files--like the Turbine project.xml--and they did not
    reference cactus there). I've also attempted to add a reference to
    cactus in the dependency list, but each time Maven can't download the
    jar file. What am I missing?

    TIA
    bmj

  • Vincent Massol at May 30, 2003 at 4:19 pm
    You don't need to add any dependency for cactus. This is handled by the
    Cactus plugin itself.

    Maybe you can have a look at the sample application in
    http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/src/plugins-build/cactus/sample/

    Thanks
    -Vincent

    brian janaszek wrote:
    Hi

    Just getting starting with Maven (as a replacement for Ant) and I'm
    attempting to use the Cactus plugin, but without much success. My
    Cactus tests aren't compiling (the Cactus imports can't be found),
    but
    if I look in Maven's repository, there are the Cactus jars. I don't
    have a dependency entry in my project.xml file (I looked at several
    Jakarta project files--like the Turbine project.xml--and they did not
    reference cactus there). I've also attempted to add a reference to
    cactus in the dependency list, but each time Maven can't download the
    jar file. What am I missing?

    TIA
    bmj

  • Vincent Massol at Jun 4, 2003 at 1:01 pm
    Hi Brian,

    Have you solved your problem? If not I would suggest you have a look at
    the cactus sample project at

    http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/src/plugins-build/cactus/sample/

    Hope it helps,
    -Vincent
    Just getting starting with Maven (as a replacement for Ant) and I'm
    attempting to use the Cactus plugin, but without much success. My
    Cactus tests aren't compiling (the Cactus imports can't be found), but
    if I look in Maven's repository, there are the Cactus jars. I don't
    have a dependency entry in my project.xml file (I looked at several
    Jakarta project files--like the Turbine project.xml--and they did not
    reference cactus there). I've also attempted to add a reference to
    cactus in the dependency list, but each time Maven can't download the
    jar file. What am I missing?

    TIA
    bmj

  • Bryan Zarnett at Jun 4, 2003 at 1:42 pm
    Hey Vincent,

    I actually have not tried it yet - left the laptop at home as well so I have to wait till later this afternoon to give it an attempt. Regardless, I will have a look at the link provided. Thanks. I'll post the results after I have tried it -- success or failure.

    Thanks everyone.