Grokbase Groups Maven users May 2003
With all the talk of the eclipse plugin lately, I'll toss in some things
I've noticed over the past two days. My setup is maven 0.9, ant 1.5.3,
eclipse 2.1

Generating the project.xml from a subproject creates dependencies for 2
projects, java and test. These appear to be related to the src/java and
src/test directories for the subproject, but eclipse errors building the
project since these dependencies don't exist.

Running eclipse:add-maven-repo fails with basic eclipse install because the
org.eclipse.jdt.core folder does not exist. I manually created that folder,
ran maven, and started eclipse. Eclipse does not pick up the maven
generated file and MAVEN_REPO remains undefined.

Ryan

  • Jamie McCrindle at May 23, 2003 at 3:23 pm
    hi,

    it's because genapp puts these lines in project.xml:

    <sourceDirectory>${basedir}/src/java</sourceDirectory>
    <unitTestSourceDirectory>${basedir}/src/test</unitTestSourceDirectory>

    which results in absolute paths put into .classpath:

    <classpathentry kind="src" path="c:\dev\eclipsetidy\temp/src/java">
    </classpathentry>
    <classpathentry kind="src" path="c:\dev\eclipsetidy\temp/src/test">
    </classpathentry>

    to fix, remove the ${basedir}/ from the source and
    unitTestSourceDirectories, this will probably mean that reactor won't work
    properly, though.

    cheers,
    jamie.
[...]

    This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the personal
    use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential and may be
    legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or
    distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
    us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

    Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author only.
    Furthermore, this message (including any attachment) does not create any legally
    binding rights or obligations whatsoever, which may only be created by the exchange
    of hard copy documents signed by a duly authorised representative of Hutchison
    3G UK Limited.
  • Sonnek, Ryan at May 23, 2003 at 3:27 pm
    Wouldn't this just be for the .classpath and not the .project file?

[...]

  • Jamie McCrindle at May 23, 2003 at 3:31 pm
    yes. but it's the .classpath is what sets up source folders.

    the .project file has things like the project nature, name, builders etc.
    which wouldn't be affected.

    __________

[...]

  • Sonnek, Ryan at May 23, 2003 at 3:44 pm
    Ok, thanks for the reply, and I'll try to clarify.
    The .classpath file does not appear to have any problems. The classpath
    entries for my source files are generated correctly.
    <classpathentry kind="src"
    path="C:\brown_dev\srcroot\bcs-maven\common/src/java">
    </classpathentry>
    <classpathentry kind="src"
    path="C:\brown_dev\srcroot\bcs-maven\common/src/test">
    </classpathentry>

    my problem is with the .project file. Maven generates 2 project
    dependencies for this project, and that causes eclipse to fail building the
    project.
    <projects>
    <project>java</project>
    <project>test</project>
    </projects>

    I'll look through the jelly plugin to see what causes these dependencies to
    be generated.

[...]

  • Sonnek, Ryan at May 23, 2003 at 3:49 pm
    Here's the part of the jelly plugin that is causing me problems. It's in
    the generate-project goal:

    <projects>
    <j:forEach var="lib" items="${pom.artifacts}">
    <j:set var="eclipseDependency"

    value="${lib.dependency.getProperty('eclipse.dependency')}"/>
    <j:if test="${eclipseDependency == 'true'}">
    <project>${lib.dependency.artifactId}</project>
    </j:if>
    </j:forEach>
    </projects>

    what is this doing, and what is it intended to do? I don't see how the
    src/java and src/test folders are considered project artifacts....

    Ryan

  • Jamie McCrindle at May 23, 2003 at 3:53 pm
    hi Ryan,

    a few tests seem to indicate that it's eclipse that incorrectly interprets
    the .classpath file with the absolute paths. try this:

    run:

    maven -Dpackage=<package> genapp
    maven eclipse

    have a look at your .project file, it should be fine (your .classpath file
    will have absolute urls)

    load the project into eclipse and have another look at your .project file,
    eclipse should have added the <projects> entries.

    regards,
    jamie.
[...]

  • Sonnek, Ryan at May 23, 2003 at 4:12 pm
    Right on.
    That's exactly what was happening. Maven was generating the project.xml
    correctly (without any nested projects), and once I loaded it into eclipse,
    the nested projects appeared. If I remove ${basedir} from the project.xml's
    source and test directories, everything works fine.