From: Graham Leggett
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 10:26 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Maven, Eclipse and Jars - Eclipse does not recognise jar
changes

Hi all,

I have used maven eclipse to create the relevant eclipse config for my
project. My project depends on a jar file from another project that is
also mavenised.

However, when I use maven jar:install in the other project to update
this jar dependancy, eclipse refuses to acknowledge the update. Running
maven war works fine - the updated dependancy jar is correctly imported,
and the war file creation succeeds, but eclipse refuses to compile the
project.

Is this eclipse breakage, or do I need to regenerate the eclipse config
every time a supporting jar dependancy is changed?

Regards,
Graham

  • Graham Leggett at May 22, 2003 at 3:22 pm

    EPugh@upstate.com wrote:

    Currently, you need to run the eclipse config target everytime a supporting
    jar name changes. If the code in the supporting jar changes (like a
    snapshot) then doing a refresh/rebuild should be all you need.
    In my case the name of the jar did not change, only the contents (it was
    a snapshot jar).

    So far eclipse seems hopelessly buggy. I have eclipse claiming compile
    errors on files that compile fine in the maven build, and the refresh
    option does nothing (it takes about a second to run, and no, my box
    cannot compile 280 files in a second). Sigh.

    Regards,
    Graham
  • Colin Sampaleanu at May 22, 2003 at 3:31 pm

    Graham Leggett wrote:

    EPugh@upstate.com wrote:
    Currently, you need to run the eclipse config target everytime a
    supporting
    jar name changes. If the code in the supporting jar changes (like a
    snapshot) then doing a refresh/rebuild should be all you need.

    In my case the name of the jar did not change, only the contents (it
    was a snapshot jar).

    So far eclipse seems hopelessly buggy. I have eclipse claiming compile
    errors on files that compile fine in the maven build, and the refresh
    option does nothing (it takes about a second to run, and no, my box
    cannot compile 280 files in a second). Sigh.

    Regards,
    Graham
    Eclipse itself is far from buggy, it is generally very well tested...
    Certainly, it sounds like there is a 'bug' in how you have set up this
    project in Eclipse. If it is giving you compile errors on valid code,
    then one way or another, it probably not seeing all the libs that code
    requires. Why don't you right click on your project and look at the Java
    Build Path to see what libs are being pulled in and from where. As to
    refresh not doing anything, it doesn't have to. Refresh tells Eclipse to
    look in the filesystem for changes. If it sees that nothing has changed
    which would require a recompilation, then it won't recompile anything.
    If you actually want to force a rebuild of your project, then use
    'Rebuild Project' from the 'Project" menu.

    Regards,
    Colin

  • Mark McBride at May 22, 2003 at 3:34 pm
    You might want to check out where your classpath is different between
    eclipse and maven. If there the same you would not have compile errors.
    Eclipse gets it's classpath from the .classpath file. Maven of course gets
    it from the project.xml file. The difference between these two should prove
    to be your problem.

    Good luck!

    -Mark
    Currently, you need to run the eclipse config target everytime a supporting
    jar name changes. If the code in the supporting jar changes (like a
    snapshot) then doing a refresh/rebuild should be all you need.
    In my case the name of the jar did not change, only the contents (it was a
    snapshot jar).

    So far eclipse seems hopelessly buggy. I have eclipse claiming compile
    errors on files that compile fine in the maven build, and the refresh
    option does nothing (it takes about a second to run, and no, my box cannot
    compile 280 files in a second). Sigh.

    Regards,
    Graham
    Mark T. McBride
    Computer Scientist
    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    http://www.llnl.gov

    Office: (925) 423-1627
    Fax: (925) 423-3140
  • Graham Leggett at May 22, 2003 at 4:46 pm

    Mark McBride wrote:

    You might want to check out where your classpath is different between
    eclipse and maven. If there the same you would not have compile errors.
    Eclipse gets it's classpath from the .classpath file. Maven of course
    gets it from the project.xml file. The difference between these two
    should prove to be your problem.
    In my case the .classpath was produced by maven, so the classpaths were
    the same. The problem was that when a snapshot jar was updated, eclipse
    refused to acknowledge that the particular jar had changed.

    I have since discovered that you have to choose "rebuild all" followed
    by a "refresh" in the root of the project to pick up a changed snapshot
    jar. Rebuild all on it's own won't work.

    Regards,
    Graham