Grokbase Groups Maven users May 2003
could you recommend me any site for maven documentation?
I've tried to find many thinks in maven.apache.org,
but IMHO the site is not well maintained. There are missing links,
properties, goals are not documented good and so on.
I'd like to learn maven, but I have no time to learn from maven and
jelly sources.
Thank you very much,
--
Oto 'tapik' Buchta, tapik@systinet.com
R&D team, Systinet Corp. (formerly Idoox)

  • Rafal Krzewski at May 9, 2003 at 7:14 am

    Oto tapik Buchta wrote:
    Hi,
    could you recommend me any site for maven documentation?
    I've tried to find many thinks in maven.apache.org,
    but IMHO the site is not well maintained. There are missing links,
    properties, goals are not documented good and so on.
    I'd like to learn maven, but I have no time to learn from maven and
    jelly sources.
    I'm afraid that, learning from existing projects and Maven and Jelly
    sources is your best option at the moment. Don't worry it's not that
    hard. You need to learn some jelly basics (reading jelly tag
    documentation on jelly website is a must) and then you need to read
    plugin.jelly files in the plugins you are trying to use.

    Have fun!

    R.

    PS. Documentation fixes/additions are more than welcome!

  • Eelco Hillenius at May 9, 2003 at 7:52 am
    It would be great though, to have some documentation explaining the main
    flow of execution and (main) available context variables, so that
    developpers can have a quick insight, and know what the original developers
    had in mind instead of guessing for it. I think a few good (javadoc) package
    descriptions would do the job.

    Eelco Hillenius

    could you recommend me any site for maven documentation?
    I've tried to find many thinks in maven.apache.org,
    but IMHO the site is not well maintained. There are missing links,
    properties, goals are not documented good and so on.
    I'd like to learn maven, but I have no time to learn from maven and
    jelly sources.
    I'm afraid that, learning from existing projects and Maven and Jelly
    sources is your best option at the moment. Don't worry it's not that
    hard. You need to learn some jelly basics (reading jelly tag
    documentation on jelly website is a must) and then you need to read
    plugin.jelly files in the plugins you are trying to use.

    Have fun!

    R.

    PS. Documentation fixes/additions are more than welcome!

  • Rafal Krzewski at May 9, 2003 at 8:06 am

    Eelco Hillenius wrote:
    It would be great though, to have some documentation explaining the main
    flow of execution and (main) available context variables, so that
    developpers can have a quick insight, and know what the original developers
    had in mind instead of guessing for it. I think a few good (javadoc) package
    descriptions would do the job.
    I don't think that there is any good chance for that. Current HEAD
    works, but it is so flawed internally, that the core developers would
    probably consider documenting the internals a waste on effort.
    Their spirit is turned towards maven-new and they'd be happy to leave
    the wreckage behind. This is open source, hate it, or love it...
    Maven-new will provide more solid and well defined environment
    for existing Jelly plugins, and much better environment for creating
    new plugins in pure java, jython, you-name-it in the future.
    I don't recall the exact quote, but Jason said something like
    "you'll be able to learn Maven internals in a day" when manven-new
    will be ready.

    Existing maven is reasonably useable in most common cases. If you want
    to hack and explore, good docs would just be spoiling the fun, IMHO ;-)

    R.

  • Matz at May 9, 2003 at 8:14 am

    Rafal Krzewski wrote:

    Maven-new will provide more solid and well defined environment
    for existing Jelly plugins, and much better environment for creating
    new plugins in pure java, jython, you-name-it in the future.
    That's good news - I feared the project would be dead 'cause the last Beta
    is from September 2002.
    How far away is maven-new?
    Is there a project-website somewhere?

    Matz

  • Matz at May 9, 2003 at 8:37 am
    Waaaah!
    Forget my comments - I mistook maven it with "middlegen", which's mailing
    list I subscribed, too =).

    throw new CaffeineDepletedException("Context system failure.");-)

    Matz

    I scribbled:
    That's good news - I feared the project would be dead 'cause the last Beta
    is from September 2002.
    How far away is maven-new?
    Is there a project-website somewhere?

    Matz

  • Rafal Krzewski at May 9, 2003 at 8:44 am

    Matz wrote:
    That's good news - I feared the project would be dead 'cause the last Beta
    is from September 2002.
    Dead? No way! And I think you don't have up-to-date information. Last
    properly announced beta was Beta-8, on February 12, 2003, and we had
    Beta-9 since then, but I don't know exact date.
    How far away is maven-new?
    I'd estimate 1-3 months. I think Maven head should have Beta-10, or
    even Beta-11 before maven-new is (beta) released to keep
    CVS/bootstrap/breakage shy users with latest and greatest plugins.
    Is there a project-website somewhere?
    I don't think there is. You can check out maven-new module from apache
    CVS and watch the progress if you want.

    R.

  • Konstantin Priblouda at May 9, 2003 at 8:19 am

    --- Eelco Hillenius wrote:
    It would be great though, to have some documentation
    explaining the main
    flow of execution and (main) available context
    variables, so that
    developpers can have a quick insight, and know what
    the original developers
    had in mind instead of guessing for it. I think a
    few good (javadoc) package
    descriptions would do the job.
    I agree that learning maven is hard when you start
    it.
    But working maven setup for some OS project is great -

    everything works like charm.

    Now I would not like to miss maven in may daily
    developer job. But I'm in happy position -. I'm
    project leader, and I'm responsible fot tool choice
    and process organisation. And believe me - if you
    learned maven. it's easier to organize development
    process for
    agile and spatially distributed team.

    I do not have to worry that your partners from other
    company have outdated jars or wrong version -
    if build goes bad - just checkout fresh sources
    and do clean rebuild....

    However, main problem of maven is that error
    information is not easily available - you can not easy
    say where shit happened in jelly script.
    And what jelly script it was :)

    regards,

    =====
    Konstantin Priblouda ( ko5tik ) Freelance Software developer
    < http://www.pribluda.de > < play java games -> http://www.yook.de >
    < render charts online -> http://www.pribluda.de/povray/ >

  • Eelco Hillenius at May 9, 2003 at 11:12 am
    I agree that Maven is very usable. I/ we use it for several project
    allready. I just started to write plugin's though, which would be easier if
    a had a good understanding of the architecture and strategies. Sure I can
    read the code... it's just that a good package comment - which isn't much
    work ! - would give me a good head start.

    Eelco

[...]

  • Vincent Massol at May 9, 2003 at 11:25 am
    Hi Eelco,
    I agree that Maven is very usable. I/ we use it for several project
    allready. I just started to write plugin's though, which would be easier
    if
    a had a good understanding of the architecture and strategies. Sure I can
    read the code... it's just that a good package comment - which isn't much
    work ! - would give me a good head start.
    Feel free to send doco patches as you progress... (it isn't much work!
    ;-)).

    Thanks
    -Vincent
    Eelco

[...]

  • Oto tapik Buchta at May 9, 2003 at 9:09 am

    Rafal Krzewski wrote:
    I'm afraid that, learning from existing projects and Maven and Jelly
    sources is your best option at the moment. Don't worry it's not that
    hard. You need to learn some jelly basics (reading jelly tag
    documentation on jelly website is a must) and then you need to read
    plugin.jelly files in the plugins you are trying to use.

    Have fun!
    So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((

    --
    Oto 'tapik' Buchta, tapik@systinet.com
    R&D team, Systinet Corp. (formerly Idoox)
    http://www.systinet.com

  • Rafal Krzewski at May 9, 2003 at 9:14 am

    Oto tapik Buchta wrote:

    So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((
    A rather cool one, I'd say. And you only need to get a grip on about
    20 tags that are used for I/O, XML manipulation and flow control.

    R.

  • Rafal Krzewski at May 9, 2003 at 9:23 am

    Rafal Krzewski wrote:
    So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((
    A rather cool one, I'd say. And you only need to get a grip on about
    20 tags that are used for I/O, XML manipulation and flow control.
    I sent the message early, sorry.

    You need to learn Jelly anyway to use Maven effectively. You can get
    much from plugins using properties + calling goals from the commandline,
    but the real power is in writing your own goals using maven maven.xml -
    for repetitive work automation and customizing and extending what the
    plugins do.

    R.

  • Aslak Hellesoy at May 9, 2003 at 10:32 am

    I'm afraid that, learning from existing projects and Maven and Jelly
    sources is your best option at the moment. Don't worry it's not that
    hard. You need to learn some jelly basics (reading jelly tag
    documentation on jelly website is a must) and then you need to read
    plugin.jelly files in the plugins you are trying to use.

    Have fun!
    So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((
    Not being keen on learning new things and using beta open source software is
    an interesting combination. Good luck.

    Aslak
    --
    Oto 'tapik' Buchta, tapik@systinet.com
    R&D team, Systinet Corp. (formerly Idoox)
    http://www.systinet.com

  • Oto tapik Buchta at May 9, 2003 at 12:06 pm

    Aslak Hellesoy wrote:

    So I have to learn jelly... another scripting language... :-(((
    Not being keen on learning new things and using beta open source software is
    an interesting combination. Good luck.
    I'm a Linux user for more than 8 years.

    I use almost free (not only open source, see http://www.fsf.org) software.

    But I hate a software (all kinds of software, commercial, shareware,
    free), which claims that it is easy to use (see maven web site and its
    Maven&Ant comparision), but you MUST learn new SCRIPTING (not only the
    syntax of configuration) language.

    Is it clear for you?

    So I've made an assumption that maven is easy to use when you are
    familiar with jelly. So I'm going to learn jelly to be able to work with
    maven.
    --
    Oto 'tapik' Buchta, tapik@systinet.com
    R&D team, Systinet Corp. (formerly Idoox)
    http://www.systinet.com

  • Mark H. Wilkinson at May 9, 2003 at 1:13 pm